Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi stage ICG

jeevan.life

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why do I need multi stage clock gating? I can insert a root ICG at clock source and that should cut off my clock. What is the need to have downstream clock gates ?

oratie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Root ICG cut off clock for the whole design. But, you can want to cut off clock just for part of design. During the real operation of your design some flops may not switching, so it is reasonable to stop clock propagation to these flops.

ThisIsNotSam

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why do I need multi stage clock gating? I can insert a root ICG at clock source and that should cut off my clock. What is the need to have downstream clock gates ?
synthesize any relatively complex RTL with automatic clock gating on. You will see the tools will infer many enable conditions for different flip-flops. A single clock gating cell would not be enough to achieve this functionality.

Qwerty112233

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Simple analogy is power controls in a house. It's better and more practical to have power switches for every room in your house too.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor