Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Multi Pic Programmer 5V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
:-D Got MultiPic Programmer working today, one capacitor in serial port power booster board was having track cracked (without booster circuit it is not working and VPP=9.8V ~ 10.2 V) , now PicPgm and winpic ( DL4YHF) are working fine, will post detailed settings later after more testing.:-D

I think my problem is related to voltage level, not software, I had tried winpic800 also, voltage level I am getting is 10.9 v on pin 3 with respect to pin 5 and during programming approx 11.6V on pin 1 and pin 9 of Zif socket, you are right that laptop will not work (I measured only 5.6 VDC on my Dell E5500) hence i managed an old desktop. Is there any workout to raise VPP in this circuit???

thannara123 could you please provide me db9 connection pinout for this circuit. I have soldered a DB9 female connector but followed DB9 male pinout , Is it right??? and lastly please confirm value of D6 (See attached circuit), in your programmer, I have seen some circuits on the internet using 8.2v zener. however i have used 6.2 V.

Thanks a lot for replies. :smile:

as far as I know JDM style programmer is for high voltage programming.. It will not work in laptops which is low serial voltage..

Checked Multi Pic programmer 5V2 by Feng3 with various softwares and hardware settings for those are in attached image files please remember that I have used laptop in built serial port with serial port power booster to raise serial ports voltage. booster schematic and PCB are also attached.

Attachments

• Booast_DB9_Layout.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Booast_DB9_PCB.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Booast_DB9_SCH.pdf
    12.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IC-Prog1.06C_Settings.jpg
    IC-Prog1.06C_Settings.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 108
  • PicPgm_Detected_Pic.jpg
    PicPgm_Detected_Pic.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 137
  • PicPgm_Hardware_Settings.jpg
    PicPgm_Hardware_Settings.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 90
  • PicPgm_log.jpg
    PicPgm_log.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 98
  • WinPic(DL4YHF)_Set.jpg
    WinPic(DL4YHF)_Set.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 104
  • WxPic Interface.jpg
    WxPic Interface.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 97

Checked Multi Pic programmer 5V2 by Feng3 with various softwares and hardware settings for those are in attached image files please remember that I have used laptop in built serial port with serial port power booster to raise serial ports voltage. booster schematic and PCB are also attached.

wow!! thanks.. nice!

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

it used two TTL converters to boost the rs232 voltages.. thanks for sharing

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

it uses two TTL converters to boost the rs232 voltages.. thanks for sharing

Off-topic, but I would now recommend buying/building USB programmers as the newer PCs/laptops (most of them) now don't have serial or parallel ports. I've got 2 desktops and a laptop at home and only one of them has a parallel port as well as a serial port and that is the desktop that was bought 4 years ago. So, I think it's better to use USB programmers.

Off-topic, but I would now recommend buying/building USB programmers as the newer PCs/laptops (most of them) now don't have serial or parallel ports. I've got 2 desktops and a laptop at home and only one of them has a parallel port as well as a serial port and that is the desktop that was bought 4 years ago. So, I think it's better to use USB programmers.

same here my PC don't have a serial port but it has a header inside so I connected it temporarily. but now I have the right connector.. :)

I found this DIY USB PIC programmer. Some of the forum members tried this.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Is it possible to take serial port outlet connection from buses in computer...

I dont know.. but I think not possible.. why would you risk your laptop by doing that... just make a DIY programmer

Is it possible to take serial port outlet connection from buses in computer...

There are many things that are possible, at the same token many are not advisable or practical. Unfortunately, attempting that would be one that is neither advisable nor practical.

I would require implementing a bus interface, most likely PCI, together with an UART and RS-232 transceiver. Now you've covered the majority of the hardware phase, you'd have to develop software drivers to utilize your new peripheral.

And of course I've left a few of gritty details out.

Do yourself a favor and pickup or build a USB programmer.

BigDog

You can use a USB to serial port converter. But I don't think you can get high voltage (12-14v) from that.

Something like this:
Amazon.com: Belkin USB SERIAL PORT ADAPTER ( F5U409-CU ): Electronics
41Y11CVXH2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just getting a PICKit 2(or 3) would (in my opinion) be the best thing to do. It's not all that expensive and I doubt you'll regret buying it.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

I dont think a converter can give a 13v output from 5v usb port.... Also jdm programming softwares dont support the latest versions of usb used in laptops....

Hey can anyone please tell me what the ratings on the caps were for the db9 booster circuit. I think I need to build one of these into my circuit to get my programmer working.

Thanks
ikhan42

Status
Not open for further replies.