Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Multi Layer PCB Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECE1088

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I 'm new to Multi layer PCB design.I am designing a PCB with 4 layers in Altium . the stack up is Layer1= S1, layer2=GND, layer3=POWER ,layer4=S2. I'm confused as how to route the power tracks(VCC,Vbat etc) in the third layer , since its an internal plane layer(negative plane).Should i create a mid layer to route the power tracks and ground?
Please help.

Should i create a mid layer to route the power tracks and ground?
What do you mean by mid layer?
What is the problem to use "vias" to connect the required pins of a component from the top side to the required plane?

You can still use tracks in plane layers but it is probably easier to use a polygon for the plane layers and then add tracking. Plane layers in negative aren't often used now.

Keith.

I'm confused as how to route the power tracks(VCC,Vbat etc) in the third layer , since its an internal plane layer(negative plane)
Since you are using the 3rd layer as plane. You can select only one power layer to that plane either Vcc or Vbat, if Vcc and Vbat are different power layers.

Should i create a mid layer to route the power tracks and ground?
In this case,you will be having the ground and power on the top or bottom layer of the board. So just simply connecting the vias and editing the properties of that vias, lets say top start layer as TOP LAYER and end layer as third layer. It will connect.
using the vias in this case, the 2nd layer won't get connected, you need not to worry about that. Altium will take care of that.
If you want to check it, you can view in 3D option. just clicking 3 in the desktop, switches to 3D. Right click and using the filter option, will helps you a lot.

Best wishes :)

Thank you for this useful info :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks keith

I 'm new to Multi layer PCB design.I am designing a PCB with 4 layers in Altium . the stack up is Layer1= S1, layer2=GND, layer3=POWER ,layer4=S2. I'm confused as how to route the power tracks(VCC,Vbat etc) in the third layer , since its an internal plane layer(negative plane).Should i create a mid layer to route the power tracks and ground?
Please help.

Hi,
For for layer multilayer,, if you want to use two internal plane layers then those plane can be only used for one net each only, so for ground you use Internal plane 2 and power layer ( VCC) you use internal plane 2. Once you assign these nets on layer stack manager all those through holes with corresponding nets will connect to these two layers respectively. For remaining power ( Vbat or any other power supplies ) you can use either top layer or bottom layer for trackings. If I was you I would use lay3 as mixed power plane . In this case you will need to create the lay3 as signal layer and add different polygons as per the nets or thicker trackings.
I hope this explains.
thanks,
keyur

I would recommend you , if you have any PRoblems with PCB. I found many answers there back in the days.
F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back