Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi channel audio preamplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_t_c

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

We are planning to develop an experimental test setup for 32-channel acoustic transducers array and for that purpose, we require 32 channel Power Amplifiers (PAs) and Preamplifiers available in COTs. We need to simultaneously drive 32 transducers using PAs and similarly simultaneously preamplification af 32 transducers receive signals.

For PAs , "D1650 Digital Multi-Channel Amplifier" from Russound and "PA 16 MK2 Multi channel Amplifier" from Storm Audio are the options currently selected. Are there other better options too?

Similarly, we require 32 channel preamplifiers (in audio frequency range) also in COTs. Can anyone point us in right direction please?

Thanks

Hi,

We are used to decide devices by specifications. Currently the only specification you give is 32 channels.
No information about output power, noise, channel selection, bandwidth, distortion, mains power voltage...

If you have such requirements, then please in values with units. "Enough" power, "low" distortion, "high" quality are just marketing phrases, but nothing one can compare devices with.

Klaus

In a previous thread, the transducer power has been specified with 20 Vrms into 500 ohm, which is more in the range of headphone or high level line drivers than typical power amplifiers.

No information about output power, noise, channel selection, bandwidth, distortion, mains power voltage...

Thanks for reply. The acoustic transducers operates in 5 KHz to 13 KHz frequency range and act as transreceiver i.e. both transmit and receive. Each transducer has input impedance of 500 Ohm. Each transducer can handle upto 330 Vrms but we know we are not getting any COTs solution in reasonable size for such power and this no of channels (i.e. 32) so we settle for PAs mentioned in initial post. However, if any better solution is there, please let us know.Main power in range of 110V to 240V will work.

In reception mode, each transducer needs to be connected with independent preamplifier. Preamplifier gains >40 dB will be sufficient. Preams will operate in same frequency range i.e. 5 KHz to 13 KHz.

As we want COTs PAs and Preamps only for proof of concept, noise/distortion constraints are not very strict.

Thanks

Hi,

if you want a cheaper solution you could buy Class D audio amplifier modules.
there are 4 channel boards with 100w each channel. DC power input up to 39V.
65 US $ per board.

now we just know 5kHz .. 13kHz (is it pure sine waveform?)
and 500 Ohms load (which is far from audio standard)
and mains voltage of 110V to 240V.

If you don´t have requirements about quality, power.. or any other: use the cheapest you can find.

Klaus

You can expect to find commercial off-the-shelf preamps if there's a technical application for it. The shown power amplifiers have an application in distributed public address systems, but what should be the purpose of the requested preamplifiers? I fear there's none.

During search on net, i came across dBx profession audio preamplifier "TR1616". Its manual is attached with this post. Its manual, says that it has 16 analog IOs. From this what i understand is that it has 16 independent analog inputs with which i can connect 16 transducers and it has 16 Outputs which may be 16 preamplified outputs (It is not clear from manual as according to manual, "XLR analog output jacks output a balanced analog signal, received and converted from the BLU link audio network").

Kindly guide me whether two of such systems will suffice my independent preamplification requirement of 32 channels?

Thanks

Attachments

• TR1616_Manual_5035742-A.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 176

The device is working as analog front end of a digital audio system. There's no analog signal path through the device. If used in your system, the TR1616 would replace the presently planned AD/DA section, possibly with higher performance.

Hi all
A guy from another forum has suggested my Behringer "ULTRAGAIN DIGITAL ADA8200" 8-channel microphone preamplifier. I have attached its data sheet here. Kindly help me whether this module will meet my requirement of independent preamplified outputs?

Thanks

Attachments

• ADA8200_QSG_WW.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 195

Also an analog front end for a digital audio system similar to TR1616, just with a different digital audio standard.

Hi, I am bothering you again with another 8-channel preamplifier rack i.e. TASCAM SERIES 8p Dyna microphone preamplifier with analog compressor . I have attached its manual here. In this manual, at page 9 &17 it talks about D-sub 25-pin connector for analog outputs and TRS jacks for Line outputs.
Kindly comment whether these analog/Line outputs are actually preamplifiers analog outputs what i required?
Thanks

Attachments

• Series_8p_OM_RevC_multi.pdf
    12.9 MB · Views: 175

This device has analog and digital outputs according to the manual. I presume it can be used for preamplifier-only purposes. I wonder however if it won't be easier to use one of these AD/DA audio frontends for your project and drop your present digital interface.

I wonder however if it won't be easier to use one of these AD/DA audio frontends for your project and drop your present digital interface.
Currently we have National Instruments digitization system for real time data acquisition & streaming. Do we have a option to synchronize multiple preamplifiers devices and to use their digitized outputs real time?

Synchronization problem is also present in digital audio application and solved by different means. There are also analog frontends available with 32 channels in a single device.

Hi,

a "bare preamplifier" needs no synchronisation. (I expect the amplifier to be analog)
A data acquisition system already should be synchronized. (sampling timing)

But they may have "simultaneous sampling" or "sequential sampling".

On simultaneous sampling all channels should be equal in timing. (no need for calibration)
On sequential sampling there may be a time shift from channel to channel.

It should be no big task to feed a signal to all inputs in parallel to calibrate delta-t of the channels.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back