Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multi-band printed dipole microstrip patch antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsi15

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dipole patch antenna

hi all...
please help me with my project of multi-band antenna....i have already designed a microstrip patch antenna at 1.6GHz...now my task is to design a multi band printed dipole patch antenna by using a technique of cutting the patch in form of a dipole...but i just cant find the required document for making the exact calculations for me to be able to design such an antenna.....please help me in this ......my advisor says that it is a hit and trial method by cutting the patch to different sizes and shapes...but at least there must be some technique for implementing such a design in hfss....like some calculations.......the required frequencies that i want it to be resonating at are the gsm1800, umts2100,wifi2400 and wimax 3400 MHz.......so please help ....

design multi band patch antenna

Or is a dipole, or is a patch antenna. Cannot be both in the same time.

A lot of antenna publications are full of “UFO” shapes for printed antennas, but to be a dipole and a patch simultaneously is impossible.

The best for your multiband application is to design a PIFA (Planar Inverted F Antenna), which derivates from IFA (Inverted F Antenna), which is a monopole antenna.

pifa antenna derivates

I remember reading something like this in Microwave journal. Try Jan 2007.

patch antenna vs dipole

what i meant was a patch antenna to be altered into a shape of dipole with two arms....actualy it is a patch antenna but in the shape of a dipole....resonating at various frequencies.....and PIFA is used for mobile applications ...but i am designing it for base station....so cant use PIFA....any other suggestion....

Added after 13 minutes:

i will be using the concepts of folding of PIFA but am not designing PIFA......i am to design such an antenna by either folding technique or cutting at different shapes or slotting......anything used for altering the shape of my patch antenna design in terms of a dipole.....so please concern this and help me with any documentation if available

arsi,
Attached here is dualband dual polarised dipole antenna(GSM900/1800).
As shown in attached figure you can try out for your required frequency band.
In your case, select fo = 1940 MHz which is the center frequency for GSM1800/UMTS.For other bands (wlan and wimax) i think you need two dipoles just like dual band yagi antennas.
This is my suggestion.

regards,
Balaguru..

wht is this image of...is it a patch cutted into this shape or what ....please explain the figure ...i dont get it....

arsi15 said:
wht is this image of...is it a patch cutted into this shape or what ....please explain the figure ...i dont get it....

Above attached figure is top view of the crossed dipoles.

Below attached figure is side view of dipole which looks like a C clamp.

Checking the definition of the patch antenna I don’t see where is the patch antenna in this structure.

sorry for the misunderstanding all of my above posts are with respect to dipoles.

Kohi_boy said:
I remember reading something like this in Microwave journal. Try Jan 2007.

page 154
L-shaped probe feed, U slot patch antenna with a coil element with measured impedance bandwidth 795 - 962 mhz and 1825 - 2308 mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back