Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moving form ST10 to ARM7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsanjose

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In the past I worked with the C167 and ST10 family and really liked this micro. Es there are new projects coming up, I wonder if its worth to stay with the 16-bit micro and pay more for the devices or buy new tools and switch to a 32-bit architecture, most likely an ARM7.

The ST10 has a great interrupt performance but when do I need a response time faster than 1 usec?
The LPC2129 or LPC2292 from Philips seem somewhat similar to a C167 but with 60 MHz, 256k Flash and 16k SRAM they offer more performance at a lower price.

Did anybody else switch from Infineon or ST to ARM7?
What is your experience?

Thanks Bob

ARM7 or ST10?

For those interested, I found that much more tools and operating systems are available for ARM. Also support through GCC is excellent.
Best supported seem to be the Philips LPC2000 devices. Also the price performance is excellent. The LPC2000 are available from 8kbytes Flash up to 512Kbytes.
From Atmel there are devices from 32k to 256k comparable to the Philips devices.
Also ST, OKI, TI, Micronas..... offer ARM7 devices, seems there are lots of choices, so my next micro will most likely be an ARM7.

Cheers, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.