Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[MOVED] VHDL FPGA LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have come into a situation please if you could drag me out of this

I have been interfacing LCD
having a board of spartan 6 starter kit

The logic for the code is to write an LCD programme where we can directly interface char instead of giving ascii values

Eg:-

whenever I give a char or a symbol it should call a function in which there is a converter char to ascii AND out put the data to lcd .
Main code – function call for char binary value from the matrix converted to ASCII

And directly interfaced so that we don’t have the hassle of converting the char again n again to hex value

Hi,

Your post is not clear.

"char" is a variable type. It is just one byte, 8 buts wide. Often it us used to store text string data, which often are coded as ASCII.
"ASCII" is a coding style. It just says how to interprete the data.

Example:
"char" is like a sheet of paper. You may write numbers on it.
"ASCII" is how you interprete this number. Let's say you interprete it as a phone number.

Changing the size of the paper won't change the information, it still will show the same number (but you may be able to store numbers with different size/range). It surely can not change how you interprete the number. A phone number won't become a postal zip code.
A char may contain a byte. It is 8 bits wide.
Lets say with bits "LHLL LLLH"
This is 0b01000001 (binary) = 0x41 (hex) = "A" (ASCII)
All already is the same, but differently interpreted. There is no need to transform anything.

Just saying "a display" ..is not very informative.
There are many different
* types like LCD, LED, OLED
* types like dot matrix, fixed characters and symbols, 7 segment, 14 segment
* interfaces like parallel, I2C, SPI, raw
* sizes

When you talk about "function", "call", "program" it sounds like software. But VHDL is no software, it is not processed "instruction after instruction".
VHDL is hardware, where everything is processed in parallel.
Don't mix or compare it with software.

Indeed you need to learn a lot. A forum can't replace school, nor can we replace reading books or viewing tutorial videos.
You need to learn to draw pictures, flow charts, timing diagrams.

Your task (indeed most tasks) basically are this style:
--> [black box] -->
Where:
--> (the left one) is the input. Interface, timing, bit width, named signals
[Black box] is the processing of data, maybe a lookup table, an algorithm, a formula...or combinations
--> (the right one) is the output. Interface, timing, bit width, named signals

Show what you have done so far, show drawings, pictures, give links to internet sources you use.
Show your solution, or at least parts of it. No need to be perfect.

.. then we all will help you to rectify mistakes and answer detailled questions

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.