Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] Sound level meter in dB

Status
Not open for further replies.

zivoradbre

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I want to measure urban noise using microphone and microcontroller (to be very cheep solution). I want output in dB. Can you provide me some advice/schematics? Is there any IC solution?

Thank you!

Re: Sound level meter in dB

not sure why you want to include a micro-controller..........cheaper to have a mic/[op-]amp/log opamp/meter

did you try google?

Thank you for your reply. I use micro-controller for taking data from few other sensor as well and I want to store data in memory not just to show sound level.
Yes I try google, there are a lot of solution with LM3915 IC **broken link removed**, but I am looking for similar solution that have simple digital or analog output that can be tied on microcontroller.

if you wanted to use the LM3915 for discrete measurement should be fairly easy to connect to a microprocessor - the 'LED' output becomes digital Input to the uC. Programming should be straightforward.

Yes...but I spend to many pins...need them all..

8-bit parallel-in/serial-out shift register

If you don't know how to help me please stop to troll me. I have simple request, microphone > chip or IC > output (digital (I2C or SPI) or ADC) > MCU.

I am NOT trolling you. Your first post was quite incomplete and vague. You asked for advice, and I tried to give some guidance. You might look at Instructables.com for similar projects.

I write in my 2nd post that I am looking for IC similar to LM3915, I am aware what can I do with that chip. But, I appreciate your effort.

I found something that can be what I need: analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD737.pdf
See page 17...dB output connection. It is not very simple, but it is best I found for now. Keep looking...

If you are using a microcontroller, why do you need to do the dB conversion in hardware? I would look at simply amplifying the mic signal, turning it into DC and measuring it with a on-board ADC. You can do the conversion in software and save costs.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.