Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: Simulation of metal oxide metal diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMdiode

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone tell me how can i simulate the quantum tunneling effect in metal oxide metal (MOM or MIM) diodes?

I am thinking about using a microwave based software like CST microwave or ADS to get the electrical fields and subsequently importing them into Matlab to calculate the current density and plot the IV- curve. Don't know if it will work.

Or is there a direct way that how can i simulate MOM or a tunnel diode which also have similar behaviour. which models should i use to simultae these diodes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Simulation of metal oxide metal diode

Can someone tell me how can i simulate the quantum tunneling effect in metal oxide metal (MOM or MIM) diodes?

I am thinking about using a microwave based software like CST microwave or ADS to get the electrical fields and subsequently importing them into Matlab to calculate the current density and plot the IV- curve. Don't know if it will work.

Or is there a direct way that how can i simulate MOM or a tunnel diode which also have similar behaviour. which models should i use to simultae these diodes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

Are you still interested in attempting M-O-M diodes? Leave a reply if you are. I may have a solution.

Thanks

Hi Xionarc ,

I am interested in such device. I would like to simulate I-V an d C-V characteristics for MOM tunneling diode where the Oxide thickness is less than 5 nanometer.
Can you help me please what the simulator can be used for this task!??
Waiting for ur kind response.
Thanks a million in advance.

Hi Xionarc ,

I am interested in such device. I would like to simulate I-V an d C-V characteristics for MOM tunneling diode where the Oxide thickness is less than 5 nanometer.
Can you help me please what the simulator can be used for this task!??
Waiting for ur kind response.
Thanks a million in advance.

I'm not really sure about the I-V and C-V characteristics of MOM diodes. I am familiar with MOM tunnel diodes with Al-Al2O3-Pt materials in a scenario of collecting power through rectification in simple dipole antennas. MOM tunnel diodes can be used as rectifiers as I'm sure you know. Previously it was thought that when implementing them to collect signals in dipole antennas, their oxide layer thermal effect is quantitatively measure power collected. Recently however it has been proved that its current rectification properties can also be measured for the same purpose.

I use ANSYS High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) for this-material properties obtained from ellipsometry. Since the antenna operates in the IR region the oxide layer dimensions are around your 5nm specification. HFSS does allow plotting I-V characteristics versus frequency so it is possible. If this isn't exactly what you want then other Electromagnetic packages of ANSYS like Maxwell or SIWave etc could be explore although I'm not too familiar with them.

PS: Sorry for late reply

I'm not really sure about the I-V and C-V characteristics of MOM diodes. I am familiar with MOM tunnel diodes with Al-Al2O3-Pt materials in a scenario of collecting power through rectification in simple dipole antennas. MOM tunnel diodes can be used as rectifiers as I'm sure you know. Previously it was thought that when implementing them to collect signals in dipole antennas, their oxide layer thermal effect is quantitatively measure power collected. Recently however it has been proved that its current rectification properties can also be measured for the same purpose.

I use ANSYS High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) for this-material properties obtained from ellipsometry. Since the antenna operates in the IR region the oxide layer dimensions are around your 5nm specification. HFSS does allow plotting I-V characteristics versus frequency so it is possible. If this isn't exactly what you want then other Electromagnetic packages of ANSYS like Maxwell or SIWave etc could be explore although I'm not too familiar with them.

PS: Sorry for late reply

Hello there,

we r trying to simulate MIM diode using 4 nm of oxide layers but HFSS gets stuck on meshing....What I mean to say is that it is unable to mesh the structure...Can you please tell me how did u simulate a 5 nm oxide layer in HFSS? I mean to say the settings u used for ur simulations, what were they?

Hello there,

we r trying to simulate MIM diode using 4 nm of oxide layers but HFSS gets stuck on meshing....What I mean to say is that it is unable to mesh the structure...Can you please tell me how did u simulate a 5 nm oxide layer in HFSS? I mean to say the settings u used for ur simulations, what were they?

Hi Adnan

First of all are you referring to meshing that you are manually apply to the structure or is this the meshing that HFSS itself applied when you carry out an Adaptive Pass simulation?

If you are referring to the meshing that the solver itself does: I'm afraid you will need better computer specs to handle such an operation. Given that you have the sufficient processing power and memory, if the solver isn't able to solve it then you would have to reevaluate the structure itself. For starters, what kind of simulation do you wish to run? If you want to see the amount of power dissipated in the Oxide layer, you can illuminate the structure (diode or diode-coupled-absorber) with an incident plane wave and integrate the volume loss density of the the oxide layer itself. This is an easy way and in order to make the simulation accurate you might need to employ the use of either radiation boundaries or Perfect Matched Layers or both. Are you doing something similar? If not please explain what you are doing and how you are doing it.

On the other hand if you are referring to manually meshing using a Line-Based or other mesh: This generally requires a lot of memory. Usually such a simulation will take quite a while. I suggest doing the simulation without meshing at first, see the result and logically evaluate it based on a theoretical estimation/knowledge before deciding to mesh.

It sounds like the problem you are facing is the former however. There might be a fundamental change that you might need to make to your structure in order to correct it in the event it is the former scenario. Let me know exactly what simulation you are trying to do and how you are doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back