Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[MOVED]Need help in selecting microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

selferng

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I m new in this forum and electronics stuff and I need some advise. I will try to explain my circuits as clear as possible, do bear with me. Thanks

circuit.PNG

This circuit is using LTC4008EGN from this website LTC4008 - 4A, High Efficiency, Multi-Chemistry Battery Charger - Linear Technology, is producing output 4A 28V to charge a 8 series Li-Ion battery. This battery comes with the self balance system intregrated with it

My main concern is to connect the J2 connector(consisting of 1 to 7 pins from LTC4008) to a microcontroller to observe the charging status of each cell.

There is a very similar microcontroller unit which is ISL9208EVAL2Z, but this pcb only support up to 7 cell. And mine is 8 cells

Any recommendation?

There are a number of possible options, Microchip PIC, Atmel AVR, MSP430, 8051 variants, etc that could serve the purpose.

Your choice should be based your experience, comfort level and of course budget.

Do you have any MCU programming experience? If so, what family of MCUs are you most familiar?

BigDog

to be frank, i m total newbie in this... so...

anyway, i've found this which support up to 12 batteries

**broken link removed**

any recommendation? thanks =)

I took a look at the appnote. The ISL9216 does have an I2C port, which several of the MCUs listed above have an I2C which will interface with the ISL9216 nicely.

It also supports connection with a PC via USB and control by a GUI application which would be the simplest way to utilize the ISL9216 board.

If you would still like to build a standalone battery charge with LCD screen it can be done.

Do you have any C language experience? Any programming language experience at all?

BigDog

Hi BigDog, thank your for quick reply

The ISL9216 is out of budget where it cost around 300 bucks and out of reach in my country

If I like to build one using a simple IC microcontroller, would the system will be complicated?

I m not very good in C language but able to understand a little bit

Please advise. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.