Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] Motor Driver IR2110 capacitors and resistors choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdez

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am a newbie and I'd like to create my first serious project in electronics: a motor driver.

The motor I'd like to control is a 12V DC brushed motor, it is a grill motor, it is chinese and it has no datasheet.
I tested the motor with my hand and it rises up to ~28 amps when stalled, the motor will be used in a robotic arm which is not built yet, so I have no idea the average current that it will consume, so I decided to built a driver with can handle up to 30 amps to be safe.

I'am going to use MOSFETs, only N-CHANNEL ones because I need Rds(on) below 10mOhm otherwise the mosfet will blow up because of the high current.
For the mosfet I am hesitating between several mosfets, there is too many choices :???: (if you have an advice I'd like to know )

Because I am using only N-CHANNEL MOSFETs, I will have to drive high side N moss using a driver, I've found the IR2110 quiet interesting.

I've found different diagrams over the internet for the IR2110 using different capacitors and resistors and I don't know what to chose.

I just want to be able to turn on/off my motor and invert the direction, I don't really need PWM / speed control but as I understand PWM is required to keep the high side voltage high.
For the frequency of PWM I can set anything between 500hertz and I think several tens of khZs ( I am using PIC18F45K22 ).

So my questions are:
- What frequency should I use in your opinion ?

- I saw that between the gate and HO/LO people use 10R resistor, is it really needed to be so few ? How much watts the resistor should be able to handle ? 10ohm resistors seems to be quiet hard to find.

-And which capacitor should I use ? ( I suppose this depends on the frequency ) I'd like to have tiniest capacitor possible.

-Could I really use 3.3v logic to drive IR2110 (LIN and HIN) like said on the datasheet ?

Thanks for your time,

Status
Not open for further replies.