Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: LM380 datasheet too many options

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaledOsmani

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Why is there so many pinouts for LM380 audio amplifier?

There are ones with 8 pins and some with 16.
The one that I need is with 14 pins.
Any explanations about differences and usage?

I cannot upload circuit image lol

As far as I know there are only 14-pin and 8-pin versons of the LM380.

Electrically they are the same, the 14-pin version can be heat sinked through the middle three pins on each side to dump heat into the board it is mounted on, the 8-pin version either has to be run at reduced power of needs a heat sink bonding to the top of the package to keep it cool.

Brian.

Why is there so many pinouts for LM380 audio amplifier?
There are ones with 8 pins and some with 16.
The one that I need is with 14 pins.
Any explanations about differences and usage?
Instead of asking on this forum, why don't you look at its datasheet? Its datasheet is free and is the first link about it in Google.
The first page of it in its datasheet shows it with 8 or 14 pins and explains that 6 of the pins on the 14 pins version are for heatsinking. Quote from the first page of the datasheet: "The center three pins on either side comprise a heat sink."
It also shows that 2 of its pins are "NC" which is no connection.

Hi,

some people are able to open datasheets, view pictures and read text.
Is it really so difficult?

Klaus

The important part of the datasheet is often the fine print.

Under Electrical Characteristics under the table
(2) With device Pins 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12 soldered into a 1/16″ epoxy glass board with 2 ounce copper foil with a minimum surface of 6 square inches.

Above that the ABSOLUTE Maximum Ratings

Thermal Resistance
θ JC (14-Pin PDIP) 30°C/W
θ JC (8-Pin PDIP) 37°C/W
θ JA (14-Pin PDIP) 79°C/W
θ JA (8-Pin PDIP) 107°C/W

(1) "Absolute Maximum Ratings" indicate limits beyond which damage to the device may occur. Operating Ratings indicate conditions for
which the device is functional, but do not ensure specific performance limits.
(2) If Military/Aerospace specified devices are required, please contact the Texas Instruments Sales Office/Distributors for availability and
specifications.
(3) The package is to be derated at 15°C/W junction to heat sink pins for 14-pin pkg; 75°C/W for 8-pin.

Learn how to apply Ohm's Law for THermal Resistance from Junction to Case to Board to inside Ambient to Outside Ambient.

Status
Not open for further replies.