Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] [Moved:] Integrating Ngspice with electric for analog simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyiclearner

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I was trying to integrate ngspice with electric vlsi tool for starting off with analog ciruits. This is what I did:

1. Installed both electric and ngspice on my ubuntu 16.04.

2. In electric, File -> Preferences -> Tools -> SPICE/CDL, changed spice engine to 'spice3', level to '3', parasitics to 'conservative RC', spice primitive set to 'spicepartsS3', after
writing spicedeck to 'run, ignore value', run program to '/usr/bin/ngspice'. Then saved and restarted electric.

3. Made a simple potential divider circuit. Inserted a transient analysis symbol and edited it for start, stop and increment values. When I did Tools -> Simulation(Spice) ->Write
Spicedeck, I could see a .spi file getting created in the project directory.

I have the following queries pls.

I. How to automatically add the .plot statement during generation of spice deck (is it possible for electric - ngspice combination).

II. Can ngspice read .spi files or will it have to be renamed .cir. If so, can electric settings be changed to rename the spicedeck to .cir ?

III. Does ngspice/ electric come with a waveform viewer. If so, how to automatically open it after the simulation is complete. If not which free waveform viewer is compatible.

Just in case, if the queries cannot be addressed to this platform, can anyone suggest an alternate platform pls.

Many thanks,
Hobbyiclearner.

Status
Not open for further replies.