Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: How to program a constant current of an LED Driver for various current levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kynix

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
[Moved]:How to program constant current of a LED Driver for various current levels?

I need to design a backlight unit that will change its duty cycle and constant LED current via a microcontroller. My supply is a SMPS with 12V - 20A output. I need to drive 16 * 16 = 256 LEDs(seperate 16 LED strings each combined of 16 LED). LEDs have 2.1 forward voltage and typical current is 60 mA.

Most of the LED Driver chip work in the same way. To output a reference voltage and let us to adjust constant current via an external resistor to flow from. Like this below:

indfE.jpg
However, once you put the resistor there you are not able to change the current. So, I draw this circuit:
Pynpe.png
driver chip is lm3410 and analog switch is NX3L1G3157G.

kce5s.png
You see, I thought that I can switch between two external resistors via a deMUX this way I will be able to have at least two current levels. And then I can use few of the same configuration to get what I need.(Red circles are external resistors and the switch)

The thing is, I couldn't find any other switch that supports more than 350 mA and 100m Ohm resistance except NX3L1G3157G. And it has only 2 switch. Also, probably I will have to change the LEDs to another one with higher luminance and higher current flow so I will need a switch which can support up to 500 mA. Also, I need 5 current levels like 100% DT(Duty Cycle) - X mA, 50% DT - 2X mA, 33% DT - 3X mA, 25% DT - 4X mA and 20% DT - 5X mA. I could still have managed to do that if we don't need to care for the PCB area, but we do!

Also, I am aware of some LED driver chips provides limited current adjustment register like MC34844 but they do not let more than 30 mA to flow per each channel so useless for me.

So, since I had all my hidden answers from this forum, again, I ask help from other experienced engineers. Do you have any suggestion for my trouble? I need to adjust the current flow through LEDs to 500 mA (20% DT), 400 mA (25% DT), 300 mA (33% DT), 200 mA (50%DT) and 100 mA continuous. Regards.

Re: How to programme constant current of a LED Driver for various current levels?

Hi,

usually one does not need to have both parameters variable.

The usual way is to set the 100% current for the LEDS with the resistor and do the brightness adjust with the PWM duty cycle.

If you want the current to be variable, then you could use different shunt resistors and MUX the signal,
or add a series resistro to the CS+ line and introduce some "manipulating" current. This enables you to adjust the setpoint with DAC and/or OPAMP.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.