Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] How to calculate number of adress bits in memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

twain

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

Can anyone help me caculate how many address bits I need to design 32M flash memory if I know it has 1024 wordline and 32 IOs. Thanks

32M = 32 Mbit? 32 Mbyte? 32M memory locations?

Anyway, first thing is divide total capacity in bits by # of bits in each memory location. Let's say for example you meant 32 Mbyte = 256 Mbit. Divided by 32 bits that is 8M memory locations.

Then you take logarithm of that number, divide by logarithm of 2, and round up to nearest integer. In this case: log(8388608) / log(2) = 23. Read: 23 address bits needed.

For multiplexed addresses like with DRAM you would need half that number of address connections. Of course # of connections may be different depending on memory configuration, but that log(locations) / log(2) will quickly tell you how many address bits are needed. Note that this also works with other than base 10 logarithms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back