Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] Getting Started with Visual Studio 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvito

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good Afternoon guys, I'm getting started with Visual Studio 2010 and I've found too many websites with different kind of tutorials that made me crazy. I'd like to use VB for electronics purposes such as interface with microcontrollers, HMI, Creating different kind of applications, etc.

I'm new in all this, and i want you to recommend me a VB tutorial such as gooligum C tutorial which were great for me while i was learning C language.

Thank you in advanced.

I haven't used C and I didn't pursue the demo of VB very far...

However I have used a few Basics and I understand the frustration of beginning a new learning curve.

Your post mentioned some projects. Can you already do those things in C? Then you must be impatient to get familiar as quick as possible with the command set in VB.

Read through the list of keywords. Look at the sample statements. There is no getting around this part of the work.

Have you composed a number of programs in C, and you wish to convert them to VB? Can you locate a conversion utility in the VB package? That would be real handy.

Browse the example programs to see if there's any that do what you're interested in doing.

Look at the community board for VB. See what topics deal with common hurdles that beginners have (even if you're not a beginner).

Is there anything in particular that has to be done just to run the simplest program? Modules to install? Accessory files that need to be called by your code?

That might have held me up. I believe I tried VB but I have no memory that I could get it to run a program on my PowerMac.

If you can already code in C, why on earth would you want to use BASIC? Seems like taking a giant step backwards..

Actually, if you are now familiar with C for your embedded development, have you checked out C# for your Windows frontend and application development?

I find C# easier and more straight forward to work with than VB, probably due to the fact I've been using C for decades.

BigDog

Thank you for your answers, Actually I'm a beginner in C, due to my programs are written in assembler. So I'm working to start a new way of programming which is C language. I know how to turn a led on on C, the simplest exercise. But I have the problem that hi tech software from microchip is a lite edition, so It has too many restrictions and it doesn't work for me.

If I understand your replies, is there any program excepting VB that can create animated windows, and microcontroller's interface? Bigdogguru mentioned a program called C#, is it the same thing that VB?

Let me say i'm really sorry for bothering too much, but learning something new is always a challenge. But i'm going to learn C, because every time i'm looking for a solution in PIC, what i found on the internet is in C language, and that piss me off. I've been programming assembler for more that 4 year and it's time for a change.

I'll appreciate any help or advise.

Thank you in advanced

In my humble opinion if you would like to move on to PC programming, give Java a shot. I learned the basics of C#, made a few projects and now I am moving on to Java. The reasons:

- Cross platform (huge advantage). You can create setup projects for MAC, Linux and Windows as well. Visual Studio is only for windows programming.
- Can be used everywhere (even inside your coffee machine :lol:).
- Mobile development. If someday you decide to go with it, Java will be your option.
- All in one. Desktop, Web applications, mobile, has all the package in a few words (and not C# for desktop, ASP.NET for web etc).
- Very close to C#. Watch a few youtube tutorials and you will see what I mean. Either way (Java or C#) you will learn Object Oriented Programming, and thus you must learn to work with the language's classes. The learning time would be the same.
- Just try to install a simple Visual Studio project with a button and a textbox in a PC. If the framework version of this PC is older than yours, this PC must be upgrated. There is always the option to include the framework inside your setup file, but if you try to install to an old PC it may take over a half an hour and a couple of reboots (and remember that we are talking only about .NET framework installation). Clients get really bothered by that one...
- Stay away from annoying Microsoft politics. You will go with open source and a language absolutely tested, solid, and working on billions of devices. And not beeing a guinea pig until Microsoft's VS is perfected in 20 years or something...

I heart that one disadvantage is that when you upgrade your Java version, some changes must be done in your running projects (didn't read it somewhere, some programmers friends told me). That means that if the client updates his Java version there shouldn't be a problem. But if you upgrade your Java version as developer, you must edit some parts of your already running projects. But anyway, I wouldn't trust Microsoft on that either. Another thing is that C# forms are absolutely beautiful, I'll give them that.

I would stay away from VB (I know some of its basics), I agree with Hewitson that it's a step backwards.
C++? Wouldn't go with it either. It is like building Windows98 forms and it's too "low level" for PC programming.
About Delphi (visual Pascal) I don't know much. A friend of mine is using it and tells me that for desktop applications it is very good.
I believe, however, that C# and Java are the reasonable options.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back