Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] Fixing a dead ATX PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehmed

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have several PSU's with a similar problem.They died after installing a new video card.However they are showing some life signs.When I remove the video card and try to turn the pc on,the CPU fan starts to spin a litlle bit.As if like they don't have enough power.I'm not sure which part do I replace.

Sounds like you overloaded it. I would personely scrap it, unless you can see a component that has obviously burnt out.
The reason is without proper test equipment like a mulitmeter and scope and a schematic of the PSU then it could be very difficult to establish what has gone wrong.

Multiple components could have been destroyed or any one of many. So its impossible to answer your question without examining the board.

Also be warned if youare thinking of taking the PSU appart it is possible that there could still be live components inside (charged caps) you might get a shock so be careful.

Best regards
Chris

P.S. When you choose a PSU check first the Wattage of your video card (on what voltage supply the watts are used on) also add the DVD drive(s) motherboard & PSU estimate, then add 25% and choose a supply with enough oomph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back