Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: Does small W/L ratio affect transistor matching ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhangljz

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am designing a circuit that many current mirrors are needed but only several current references, which means one current reference will drive more than 100 mirrored transistors, but still I want to a proper matching. I am wondering if small W/L ratio of mirror transistors will affect the matching, such as W/L = 1 or 1.5.

Thank you.

Re: Does small W/L ratio affect transistor matching ?

Yes, it affect absolutely the matching.Larger devices are less sensitive to matching.Smallers are more..

It depends to inversion region of your transistors. In deep strong inversion (inversion coefficient >1000) your matching is determined by current gain factor mismatch, while for depply weak inversion (IC < 0.1) mismatch is determined by threshold voltage coefficient normalized to thermal voltage.

It will depend on the absolute values of the W and L. For instance W/L = 100/100 has a 100 times better matching than W/L = 1/1 even though they have the same ratio. If W and L is considerably high, having a smaller W/L helps to increase the overdrive voltage and improve the dID/ID error because it decreases the gm of the current mirror transistors.

There is an absolute tolerance on the etching accuracy of the W and L so the larger the W and L (not just W/L), the less this tolerance will affect the matching.

Thank you all. I see the points. Maybe I can do monte carlo simulation to see the difference.

Look at the paper by Pelgrom "Matching Properties of MOS Transistors" It will give some insight on Area-Matching trade-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back