Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[MOVED] DAC area saving topologies, and noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

a991852

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I'm trying to make a DAC with less area using MiM Capacitors

Basically Split DAC uses less area than a binary weighted capacitors since for a 6 bit split DAC, only area of 2 3-bit DAC are required, drastically reducing area.

Split DAC (6-bit DAC):
1C
1C
2C
4C

1C
2C
4C

Binary Weighted DAC (6-bit DAC):
1C
1C
2C
4C
8C
16C
32C

However, has anyone implemented a binary weighted DAC with half of the capacitors in series and half of the capacitors in parallel?

Then the binary weighted DAC would have almost the area compared to a split bridge DAC:
1/8C
1/8C
1/4C
1/2C
1C
2C
4C

We also can implement the idea on a split bridge DAC, which can lower the area even further.

Does anyone know affects of serial with parallel capacitors in the circuit compared to a only parallel capacitance? I've actually implemented both types (Serial with Parallel capacitors VS only parallel capacitors) on TSMC 180nm for a 12-bit DAC, even though area was only 30% of before, BUT the ENOB of serial capacitors with parallel capacitors decreased about 1 (reduced to 10 from 11) compared to a fully parallel capacitance, I'm assuming that parasitic capacitance affects serial capacitors such as adding a capacitor between each capacitors, and more capacitance are added to parallel capacitors. Hence the actual value of parallel capacitors are GREATER than serial capacitors.

Also is noise on a capacitor DAC important? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson–Nyquist_noise

Using large number of 20f capacitors can give a few mV of noise, should I implement an auto-zeroing circuit on the DAC?

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back