Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[MOVED] Alternate Solution for Load Resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunkish

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
I am using PIC MICROCONTROLLER and I have a Load Resistor of 47Ohm 20 WATTS. But it is bulky, I wonder if anyone knows an alternate solution or component for Load Resistors ??? I tried with inductor but ended with failure. Can Inductor be used, if yes... what type of Inductor be used?? Please help me with this..

Thanks a lot

Re: Alternate Solution for Load Resistor

what has the mention of using 'PIC MICROCONTROLLER' got to do with this question ?

An inductor is not strictly a load, but most inductors do have some finite resistance that generates heat.

You can use a MOSFET in its linear bias region as a resistor, must heatsink it to dissipate the heat.
If you are concerned about size dimensions you can use a fan to dissipate heat faster.

you can wind your own resistors using Nichrome wire onto quartz tube - same stuff as in radiant electric heaters - and this works rather well to high powers and
lots of heat! rather fragile to construct however.

Thank you for your reply. Can you give me an example circuit using MOSFET ?? As I said I use 47ohm 20 watt resistor, supply voltage 24V 3A.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back