Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motherboard capacitors blasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajveersingh5436

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have a gigabyte GA-8LD533 p4 motherboard. when i switch on power supply, after 2 minutes a capacitor blasted and leek. then i check display that is present. but after 2 minuts another capacitor blast. im not understanding what is wrong with motherboard. please help..

Some years ago, there was a massive problem with defective electrolytic capacitors in CPU power supplies. Some capacitor manufacturers switched to a new electrolyte which turned out unreliable. Your motherboard, which is an old one, may have been built with these bad capacitors.

You should also verify that the problem isn't caused by a too high voltage of the 12 V node.

I also found around the change from AMD Single core CPU to Dual Core CPU Motherboards. The Earlier Motherboard had a Negative 5 Volts on the Power Supply, the -5V is not used on later systems. But if a newer 500 watt power supply with no -5v is fitted to a early Motherboard my Gigabyte with AMD 3000 CPU single core. All the Electrolytic caps on the secondary power system on the motherboard popped their tops and it died. I was able to replace the capacitors and the board now works fine on a power supply with -5Volts. Go figure that out!

Les

Hi,

if you replace those capacitors, be sure to select useful caapacitors. Low ESR, high frequency and high ripple current is needed.

Standard capacitors may overheat.

Klaus

Parallel distributed caps help reduce ripple but internal ESR *I² pulse current dissipates power and increases temperature and reduces life rapidly.

Use only High-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors with low ESR in main locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back