Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most professional PCB routing tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepillo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the most professional PCB routing software? What PCB routing tool should I master to get a job in PCB routing? Now I use Pcad 2002 and Proteus.

"What PCB routing tool should I master to get a job in PCB routing"

I would suggest that you look at the size of the user base in the area you want to get into.

i beleive the Largest user base is PADS Layout by Mentor Graphics.

You can get a free demo from their website that will get you started.

pepillo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
cadence ---allegro
zuken-----cr5000

pepillo

First, Professional tools may not be the most cost-effective and popular tools in the real industrial world that is highly driven by cost and budget.

In big MNCs, tools are usually contracted for many inter-corporate interests due to project collaboration and agreement. Therefore you probably find so-called professional tools like Cadence Concept/Allegro/Spectre and many more.

In small and medium-sized firms, it is a mix of both depending the design team and their preferences, and the point of time at which the license agreement is valid or expires. Firms like this is very concern about high budget and getting locked to proprietary tools. You may find Protel DXP, MentorGraphics PADS Power PCB or other smaller CAD tools. Do not be surprised that you might caught them using cracked or pirated versions.

From here, you probably can guess where you want to channel your energy in learning the CAD tools to fit your so-called right job.

An advice to add: Learning the tools is like learning to play a new computer game. The basic design guidelines, practices and tricks in designing good PCBs for performance and low-cost is still the most important. This has little to do with CAD tools.

pepillo

hi
learning a tool is easy...if u have one that is well and good... to become more professional u need to hone ur skills in signal integrity, EMI/ EMC etc. and PCB issues like clock distribution, power distribution, layer stack up etc.

pepillo

I think good tool can attract you to learn it , enjoy it,
and be proud of mast the skills.
The easy simulation for SI is also important.

pepillo

I think the best one should be Allegro and WG,

pepillo

I would suggest Mentor Graphic Expeditions, it good but come with a cost...

pepillo

I suggest learning as much as possible and becoming an expert with a mid range tool first, that way your more likely to get a job as more companies will use a mid range system.
then learn the higher range packages.

which are those mid range packages?

schemaic capture:
Entry: Protel,Orcad,multisim
Mid: PADs
High: Mentor

Layout:
Entry: Protel, Orcad Layout, Multisim
Mid: Cadence Allegro, Spectra
High: Mentor

pepillo