Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most Powerful ARM Microprocessor For Automation Industrial Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

strahd_von_zarovich

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am going to buy a demo board from TI for automation applications. But i haven't worked in this area before. So i don't know what kind of microprocessor may i need. Can you recommend me a Microprocessor from TI . It will be wonderful if it meets my all possible requirements. Like lots of IO , ADCs , communication protocols like Profibus, Profinet etc...

I searched a bit and is it ok to buy this demo board what do you think :???: https://www.ti.com/tool/tmdsidk437x

For embedded applications, any core capable of supporting a Linux operating system is a nice choice.

An industrial PC would also be suitable, however the op has mentioned some industrial fieldbuses like profinet/profibus, for these maybe a PLC or a PAC (programmable automation controller) based system may be better.

These industrial systems are very reliable compared to computers or ARM based boards.

Hello
For industrial automation PIC microcontroller are also very good with strong peripherals

In which way PIC is good for automation , and what do you mean by strong peripherals. :|

- - - Updated - - -

For embedded applications, any core capable of supporting a Linux operating system is a nice choice.

Thank you for answer, why supporting a Linux operating system is a nice choice.

- - - Updated - - -

An industrial PC would also be suitable, however the op has mentioned some industrial fieldbuses like profinet/profibus, for these maybe a PLC or a PAC (programmable automation controller) based system may be better.

These industrial systems are very reliable compared to computers or ARM based boards.

Actually i want to know why they are reliable and how ? If i know right in Siemens PLCs there are ARM based microprosesor from TI.

So i want to design a system as reliable as at least Siemens PLCs.

Hello
its up to your applications what you want in single chip like PWM, communication, GPIO etc.
microchip have very good Application note.

no doubt ARM is good but PIC is also Good choice.

- - - Updated - - -

if you want to design reliable system then only microprocessor not play important role many other factors are also play important role

But i haven't worked in this area before
If you go with advance system like your link. You would be more & more practice and good knowledge regarding controller system. But you say that you are new. You should chose a simple controller like PIC ATMAL ....

So i want to design a system as reliable as at least Siemens PLCs.

Expect to spend a lot on R&D. Also expect to spend a lot if you go with Siemens PLC.

If you're doing it for the learning experience then go with whatever you fancy. If you're planning to actually control something then go with a Click PLC from AutomationDirect https://www.automationdirect.com/clickplcs/about-click/features.

In that case you'll need to learn ladder logic, the standard language for industrial control. It looks rather weird at first but is actually very easy to learn and understand.

Because Linux is a worse choice for your purpose. There are specific RTOS systems are used.

Indeed, it was not specified at the beginning of the discussion what are the constraints of the project, such as: development time, cost, speed performance, size, etc ... which in fact would have a substantial impact on the choice of the approach to be adopted, but there may happen situations where a single core, whether in RTOS vs Linux cannot meet alone the whole solution, needing either the aid of additional core or peripherals.

There are many applications for industrial environments running on Linux-based platforms, and the compatibility with this system is itself an attractive due to a certain backward compatibility, particularly if used as much as possible shell scripts. From my own experience, I can affirm that I got surprised to see the speed that can be achieved even in a core Cortex-A8, doing processings at considerable speeds, therefore, depending on the project requirements, all options should be considered prior to analyse the pros and cons.

Compare to arduino :laugh:

Because Linux is a worse choice for your purpose. There are specific RTOS systems are used.

Thanks , looks like RTOS is the key word i was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

If you go with advance system like your link. You would be more & more practice and good knowledge regarding controller system. But you say that you are new. You should chose a simple controller like PIC ATMAL ....

I mean i am new to automation and industrial applications not microcontrollers :thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

Expect to spend a lot on R&D. Also expect to spend a lot if you go with Siemens PLC.

If you're doing it for the learning experience then go with whatever you fancy. If you're planning to actually control something then go with a Click PLC from AutomationDirect https://www.automationdirect.com/clickplcs/about-click/features.

In that case you'll need to learn ladder logic, the standard language for industrial control. It looks rather weird at first but is actually very easy to learn and understand.

Actually , thats exactly what i dont want to , i want to control something using c/c++ and then making software easy with my code generator program.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed, it was not specified at the beginning of the discussion what are the constraints of the project, such as: development time, cost, speed performance, size, etc ... which in fact would have a substantial impact on the choice of the approach to be adopted, but there may happen situations where a single core, whether in RTOS vs Linux cannot meet alone the whole solution, needing either the aid of additional core or peripherals.

There are many applications for industrial environments running on Linux-based platforms, and the compatibility with this system is itself an attractive due to a certain backward compatibility, particularly if used as much as possible shell scripts. From my own experience, I can affirm that I got surprised to see the speed that can be achieved even in a core Cortex-A8, doing processings at considerable speeds, therefore, depending on the project requirements, all options should be considered prior to analyse the pros and cons.

I don't have constraints about development time, cost and size. But looks like RTOS is a must now. Siemens PLCs have a constant cycle time so it must be RTOS right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.