Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET switching optocoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

yassin.kraouch

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

the Vout of my circuit is between 300 mV and 3V, i would like that my Vout is between 0 and 3V, how can i do this ?? please help!!!

best regards

Hi!

There is a transistor characteristic called "Collector−emitter saturation voltage" (VCEsat). This is the voltage drop accross collector-emitter when the transistor is saturated. So if you bias the transistor correctly and it goes deep into saturation, the lowest voltage you can get is VCEsat. I don't know if someone ever used special circuits to drop this voltage from VCEsat to 0V, but I don't think that you really need it anyway.

Normally and talking about a general purpose transistor, you increase Ib so that VCE will decrease, until it reaches VCEsat. Here we have a phototransistor, so the only thing you could test is to increase photodiode's current and maybe the phototransistor will go deeper into saturation. But again I think that 300mV is OK, it is clearly a '0' state.

Alex

Hi!

There is a transistor characteristic called "Collector−emitter saturation voltage" (VCEsat). This is the voltage drop accross collector-emitter when the transistor is saturated. So if you bias the transistor correctly and it goes deep into saturation, the lowest voltage you can get is VCEsat. I don't know if someone ever used special circuits to drop this voltage from VCEsat to 0V, but I don't think that you really need it anyway.

Normally and talking about a general purpose transistor, you increase Ib so that VCE will decrease, until it reaches VCEsat. Here we have a phototransistor, so the only thing you could test is to increase photodiode's current and maybe the phototransistor will go deeper into saturation. But again I think that 300mV is OK, it is clearly a '0' state.

Alex

You are talking abour JGBT transistor but i used MOSFET transistor !!

He is talking about the output transistor of the optocoupler, that is where you are getting the drop not the mosfet
You can either use a lower resistor in the input diode of the optocoupler (assuming that you don't go above the max current) ot use a higher value resistor in the transistor output, you will get values closer to 0 but still not 0

Alex

yassin.kraouch said:
You are talking abour JGBT transistor but i used MOSFET transistor !!

Yes you used a MOSFET as a switch for the photodiode's current. When the photodiode emmits light, then the optocoupler's phototransistor is biased (U1 - OPTOCOUPLER NPN). So I am talking about this npn which is a BJT. Your output is Vout, shorted directly to npn's collector and this output's '0' state obviously depends on this npn's VCEsat.

Hope that helped.

Where will you feed the output and why does it matter that the voltage doesn't go down to 0?

Alex

ah ok thank you, please look at this picture will i obtain the same PWM ??

The emitter of U2 and U3 are not connected so you can't get any output (you will get always V+ because of the pullups).
If you connect the emitters then for the 10K resistors you will get a low value closer to 0 than with the 350 ohm but on the other hand you will get less current in the positive output.
All input diodes will share the same current so they will turn on/off together.

Alex

12V are enough for the photodiodes to conduct, but you also need to connect ground to U2 and U3. I suggest you place electrolytic capacitors to the collectors of the phototransistors, 10uF should be OK.

If you plan to implement this circuit on the real world, then R1 consumes over 500mW, so you need at least 1W resistor. However I don't see any practical use of it, since you produce the same signal three times.

Regards,
Alexis

ok Alex, so i change just the value of 10k to 350 ohm and connect the emitter to the ground, and i will obtain the same signal, is there any condition related to the diod ? for example current or voltage ?

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

12V are enough for the photodiodes to conduct, but you also need to connect ground to U2 and U3. I suggest you place electrolytic capacitors to the collectors of the phototransistors, 10uF should be OK.

If you plan to implement this circuit on the real world, then R1 consumes over 500mW, so you need at least 1W resistor. However I don't see any practical use of it, since you produce the same signal three times.

Regards,
Alexis
connect the resistor will limite the current that pass throught diode

is there any condition related to the diod ? for example current or voltage ?
If you mean in relation to the output then yes, the current through the diode is the equivalent of a base current in a normal transistor, for each specific optocoupler you will find in the datasheet the current relation between diode and transistor to saturate the output

Alex

and the voltage U3A is there any condition ?
What is the voltage U1A?

You mean the output voltage of the transistor, yes this will be affected, the more current you give to the diode the more current you will be able to sink in the transistor output while keeping a low Vce drop

Alex

Yes but ho i can calculate the current to give to the diode, what is the limit of the current that i should give ? and how to limit it ?

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

the voltage U3A is the voltage between the three diode if you look the schematic

You are using a generic model so I can't give you an answer.
In a real optocoupler the datasheet has the max allowed diode current and Vf the led (forward voltage drop) so for three optocouplers you can use (12v-(Vf*3))/I to find the resistor value to use

Alex

---------- Post added at 00:41 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

U3A doesn't matter as long as it is above Vf*3 , then depending on the voltage level you use an appropriate resistor

Alex

so the current that a diode should pass is in the datasheet?

The max current that the diode can handle is always in the datasheet, it is up to you to use a lower current if you want.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.