Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET gate drive circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee01akk

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mosfet gate drive circuits

Hi,
I am trying to find a mosfet gate driver design that I can use in PSpice simulation. Are they only available as i.c's or does anyone have a specific design? I am trying to use the mosfet as a switch in a dc-dc boost converter.
Thanks for any help that you can provide.

mosfet gate drive circuit

One common circuit is to use HC series gates. One way is to use the 74HC49 or 50 with all six gates in parallel. This will provide you with about 1 A peak current drive to charge and discharge the MOSFET gates. This only works in the real world if all of the gates are in the same IC package so that their time parameters all match.

You can also use the voltage controlled voltage source which has infinite output current capacity. Put a few ohm resistor between the output and your gates to limit the current. This will probably give you an overly idealized simulation result because of the idealized gate drive rise time.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
mosfet gate driver circuit

usually Mos Gate Drivers are simulated by subcircuits and voltage controlled voltage sources + a little dealy (can be produced by RC and and ideal and gate) for dead time simulation.
u can produce tis subcircuit yourself in pspice or other spices and use datasheet of the driver for proper output impedance or dealy of theMGD.
also some manufacturers like intersil provide this subcircuits for their products.

BEST!

using qc for gate drive design

Hi.. You could use MosFET drivers which are specifically design to do the job. Linear techbology has very good one for N or P channel FETs.
linear.com

International Rectifier has very good one too..

Makes your work easy and a finished reliable product.

Regards

mosfet drive circuit high-side

:D There are many manufacturers of mosfet drivers But driving a power Mos is a tricky affair the points to be considered are the Input capacitance(Ciss), the frequency and the Total Gate charge(Qc) and the power handling capacity of the driver IC
Visit www.micrel.com and Elantec(taken over by Intersil)
if your switching frequency is below 2000 Hz you dont require a dedicated Mosfet driver,a Totem pole driver using one NPN and One PNP transistor is enough for which SPICe models are already available :roll:

drive ckt for mosfet

maybe it help for you

irf+fet gate driver

Happy New Year!
Upper File download from : **broken link removed**

mosfet half bridge gate driver spice model

I can understand your choice in using a mosfet design. You may have problems though as the mosfet switches very quickly and can produce noise ( spikey). I have found that a bipolar transistor switch especialy where inductors are used is a beter option.

Barrybear

mosfet gate driver circuits

In www.irf.com you can find the best article for Mosfet driver.

gate drive circuit

Remember, add a dumping resistor 2-5 Ohm at each MOSFET gate

driving mosfet pnp transistor fast discharge

Look it!

mosfet capacitance ciss frequency

need help!!! i am driving my MOSFET at 290KHZ. Using IR2110 as my gate driver.

At low frequency, my high side waveform looks good.. it is a square wave. But as the frequency increase, my high side waveform start to look distorted. why is it so? is there a way to solve this problem??

Another problem is, i am using supply voltage of 15V. As i switch my MOSFET at 290KHz, my gate driver gets heated up easily. In less than 10 mins, the IC becomes very hot and i got to off my circuit. Is there any way to reduce the temperature? I cant use a heatsink coz it is a IC chip.

mosfet ckt

Hi,

At high frequencies the Mosfet's gate capacitance become significant.

We usually use IGBt's at this sort of high switching frequencies.

Hope this helps you.

Bye.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
mosfet gate driver circuit+pspice simulation

sigh..i already build the circuit..there is no way for me to change to IBGT now.. is there any way i can reduce the effect of the gate capacitance??

If it is due to gate capacitance of MOSFET, how come it only affects my high side? there isnt any effect on my low side.

Added after 31 seconds:

sigh..i already build the circuit..there is no way for me to change to IGBT now.. is there any way i can reduce the effect of the gate capacitance??

If it is due to gate capacitance of MOSFET, how come it only affects my high side? there isnt any effect on my low side.

mosfet gate driving circuit

Hi,

Try using a lower frequency in the first place, something upto 100khz

is fine with mosfets.

Good Luck.

mosfet irf 440 driver matching+pdf

What kind of gate resistor are you using. The power consumption of the FETdriver depends to a large degree on how much current you drive the Gate with.
If you know what the gate charge of your FET is you can easily calculate the rise and fall time and see if you can increase the gate resistor.

Are you using a IGBT or MOSFET? Not many IGBT like to be switched at such a frequencies.

mosfet gate drive

i can't reduce my frequency as the half bridge (i using MOSFET to work as half bridge) is connect to a load that requires 290KHZ.

Using a gate resistor of 22ohm.

how will the gate capacitance affect my high side of the driver at high frequency?

totem pole mosfet driver spice model

HI,

How does the highside look like in your circuit? are you using a specific driuver??

Also try using a 10 ohm resistor in the gate.

Bye.

I'm not able to see your picture due to some points limitation. I just signed up to this formum a few days ago.

A good way of finding out what is going on with a FET is to measure the Gate Source Voltage. On the highside this needs to be done by a differential measurement. I usually use a "cheater plug" to float the scope.
You also need a fairly fast scope since the rise and fall times are in the 100ns range.

The power disipation of the Driver can be calculated the following way:
On each transition the driver draws a current of roughly Vsupply/Rg for the duration of the switching time.
The energy per cycle is then: Esw = Vsupply * Vsupply/Rg * tsw
Assuming some numbers: Esw = 12V*12V/22Ohm * 100ns = 6.54e-7J

The power loss is then:
Ploss = Esw * fSw * 2 (since there are two transitions per cycle)
Ploss = 350mW

The whole part will see twice the loss rougly .7W, which is quite a bit for a small IC like that.

One thing I did in the past is glue a small piece of copper on top of the IC. This servers as a small heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back