Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monitoring of Inputs/Outputs from Heating Unit Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaillimh

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi , hope this find you well.

I have a Heating Unit in my Garage that is controlled electronically.
There are multiple Inputs/Outputs that I would like to "piggyback" and monitor.
I *obviously* want to do this safely as Mains Electricity is involved.

Inputs include Temperature of various points in the Boiler and also some form of sensor to detect flame in the Heating element.
Outputs are mains ( via onboard relays ) for Pump Off/On , Feeder Off/ON ( its a wood chip boiler ) etc.

I am the proud owner of an Arduino unit and would love to monitor what goes on i.e. Unit starts and only turns on pump at 50 Degress Celcius. I would like to monitor the data and can use Arduino to log this.

So my issue is *not* how to log the actual outputs to file/remote.

My issue is how to monitor the "on/off" and also temperature feeds from sensors safely. I did think about using a 240v "piggy backing" off the mains outputs to pump/feeder so this would turn on/off as the units would.

So any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Stephen

Hi Tpetar - good to see you again.
Can you shed more light on 1-Wire?
I found a 1 Wire temperature sensor Googling - One Wire Digital Temperature Sensor - DS18B20 - SparkFun Electronics but am not sure how I can use ?
The sensors are already in place and info displayed on Controller on heating unit. I basically want to piggy back and find out what goes on with the unit.

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Use 1-Wire technology, You can switch, log, measure,....

Found Arduino playground - OneWire - i will do some reading.. but still not 100% how ill read output of the mains for example...

Will take a look at that, cheers!
But how do I safely monitor the mains? Thats my core issue :)

You can monitor on/off on mains with optocoupler, and that optocoupler output goes to DS2405, DS2406, DS2408 as sense switch.

c_507_phonecontroller_sens_pic.jpgDS2405 used for contact detection.gifDS2406 switch state sensing.jpgDS2408 as parasite.jpg

Reactions: omore

omore

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for reply , could you send me a link to an opto coupler that would work, am just not 100%

Thanks again !

Looking at these it doesn't look like I can hook them direct to 240v? Do I need a relay circuit the far side of the opto isolator ?

I've never used one and am googling ..

Dont worry its optoisolated for much higher voltage then 220V!

Its safe dont worry, you can put twisted pair or some cable to transistor out from optocoupler, and use ohmmeter to se when is contact present (contact presend when there is main current on other side of optocoupler).

On high side be careful !!! Dont touch live wire with hands!!!

4N35-pinout.jpg

Attachments

• 4n35.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 70

Hi

Thanks again , sorry to be a pain in the ass.

240v direct connected to opto will blow Opto piece though ? From what I've seen I need to bring the voltage down ?

All mains will always be off when im working :)

Hi

Thanks again , sorry to be a pain in the ass.

240v direct connected to opto will blow Opto piece though ? From what I've seen I need to bring the voltage down ?

All mains will always be off when im working :)

I give you picture, put resistor as on picture 47K and one diode. ;-)
I use 4N35 as shown in remote control over telephone to sense when is 220V device turned on or off.
shema.png

Other examples:
All Electronics: Overload protection circuit using 555 timer
**broken link removed**

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back