Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Modulo addition problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrflibble

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I suspect that I am just not seeing the forest for the trees right now, but ... argh.

The problem is as follows:

I have 4 registers, all 8-bit (unsigned).

I could write down the whole lot, but essentially it boils down to this:

Sought after result:

R = ((M1 + C1) modulo N) + ((M2 + C2) modulo N)

where N = 2^8 = 256

So essentially what it does is take 2 unsigned 8 bit operands M1, C1, add it, and truncate to 8-bit unsigned result. Do the same for M2,C2. Add these 2 subresults together to form a 9-bit unsigned result.

Okay, so far so good... But this thing is part of a pipeline, and there is no good way to calculate these M1+C1 and M2+C2 sums.

However what can be done is calculate:

T1=M1+M2
T2=C1+C2

Or any other variety based on M1,M2 and C1,C2. Basically what I mean is I have M1,M2 available at one point in the pipeline and C1,C2 available in another, but never together. And no, I cannot just synchronize the pipeline so they are all available at the same time. Assume for the moment that M1+C1 etc just cannot be done for whatever reason. Part of the reason is that the C1+C2 result is also being reused for other things...

Now how do I construct the wanted result from these T1 and T2 sums? I am sure I am missing something simple, but I don't see it.

So again, M1, M2, C1 and C2 are all 8 bit unsigned, and the result R is a 9-bit unsigned. Beware the modulo. ;)

Any ideas?

Well, still don't see an easy solution. If I were to keep the modulo constraint, then as far as I can tell I would always have to keep track of the carry from the M1+C1 etc results. Which is not an option...

So unless it turns out I am overlooking something simple (entirely possible), I think I'll just have to reformulate the problem to get rid of the modulo's in there...

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Right. Redefined problem. problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.