Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modifying Port Area in Agilent ADS-2008 (or 2009) Layout for EMDS simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrvivs

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

This is related to layout design in Agilent's ADS-2008 (or 2009) for EMDS simulation. I want to know if the port area, as shown by EMDS > 3D EM Preview, can be modified by the designer? By port area, I mean the port boundaries, depicted as shaded portions in figure below:

emds_ustrp_vw.GIF

I found that ADS software automatically sets the port areas as follows:
ADS-2008 Wp = 07 x Wstrip Hp = 04 x Hsbstrt
ADS-2009 Wp = 21 x Wstrip Hp = 11 x Hsbstrt
where,
Wp and Hp => the width and the height of the port area, respectively;
Wstrip => width of the microstrip line
Hsbstrt => height of the substrate

Moreover, it would also be beneficial if someone can suggest appropriate port dimensions for correct simulations in any FEM software. I found that HFSS tutorial suggests Wp = 20 x Wstrip and Hp = 15 x Hsbstrt.

Thanks in Advance,
Vivs

Attachments

• emds_ustrp_vw.JPG
    emds_ustrp_vw.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 84

The port size in ADS for 3DEM simulation is automatically calculated based on the width of copper and substrate as you mentioned. This size can be modified by "FEM/3D Features/Set Boundary Dimensions..." Find the port scale (lateral and vertical) and modify them as you need. The port size is to decouple the interaction between the port boundary to the structure to minimize any port parasitics. The rule of thumb varies but typically 10, 10 rule works very well. 10 times of copper width and 10 times of substrate height.

Hi,

This is related to layout design in Agilent's ADS-2008 (or 2009) for EMDS simulation. I want to know if the port area, as shown by EMDS > 3D EM Preview, can be modified by the designer? By port area, I mean the port boundaries, depicted as shaded portions in figure below:

View attachment 76222

I found that ADS software automatically sets the port areas as follows:
ADS-2008 Wp = 07 x Wstrip Hp = 04 x Hsbstrt
ADS-2009 Wp = 21 x Wstrip Hp = 11 x Hsbstrt
where,
Wp and Hp => the width and the height of the port area, respectively;
Wstrip => width of the microstrip line
Hsbstrt => height of the substrate

Moreover, it would also be beneficial if someone can suggest appropriate port dimensions for correct simulations in any FEM software. I found that HFSS tutorial suggests Wp = 20 x Wstrip and Hp = 15 x Hsbstrt.

Thanks in Advance,
Vivs

First of all, thanks for your response!
The solution that you have indicated for modifying the port size, actually works only for reducing the port area dimensions. In any case, the port area dimensions cannot be increased beyond the default values as set by ADS. Thus, the problem of increasing port area dimensions still exist (at least in ADS-2008 and ADS-2009 versions).
Probably, the software designers have removed this issue in newer version of ADS, say 2011... However, I am not aware of that. Can you tell if the port area dimensions can be increased beyond their default values in ADS-2011?
Thanks!

The port size in ADS for 3DEM simulation is automatically calculated based on the width of copper and substrate as you mentioned. This size can be modified by "FEM/3D Features/Set Boundary Dimensions..." Find the port scale (lateral and vertical) and modify them as you need. The port size is to decouple the interaction between the port boundary to the structure to minimize any port parasitics. The rule of thumb varies but typically 10, 10 rule works very well. 10 times of copper width and 10 times of substrate height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back