Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modification of ground plane in IE3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRAJAHARSHA

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Can anybody help me know how to truncate or make slots in the ground plane while working with IE3D simulator

hi mrajaharsha,

1. Define finite ground plane by changing Re of conductivity to zero of zero layer
in Basic parameters.Any polygon in zero th layer will act as finite ground plane.

2.Construct polygon of slot dimension in any one of the layer.select that polygon. With the help of Advedit-->Buid holes and vias thr selected polygon,and by selecting the desired layer in Buid holes and vias thr selected polygon dialogue menu, slot can be made(in this case u've to select zero th layer and clear the hole).

Thank you very much sir for your response.
But, a small query though.
If we make Re of conductivity to zero in basic parameters, it will make the whole ground plane to be a dielectric.
I want to only truncate some part of it making the infinite plane to finite
Like if you you see in the F-shaped antenna design we need the ground plane to be present only half way under the subtrate. How can i do that?

Added after 1 hours 42 minutes:

Ohhhhhh

I just understood what you said sir.

THank you once again

Hi, MRAJAHARSHA:

There are only two choices:

1. Make a hole on an infinite ground (define horizontal polygons on the infinite ground to represent the slots on the ground)
2. Make a hole on a finite ground (use the way described by baraguru).

The 2 choices use different formulations to model it. However, there is no implemention for semi-infinite ground planes.

Best regards,

How to put a polygon in the zerth plane which will be a metal?

Because, as soon as i am placing a ploygon on zero plane it is becoming the subtrate(iam giving the polygon z coordinate as zero)

Added after 1 hours 33 minutes:

How can we know if a slot is made

My problem is, i want the grnd to be at a particular place only
So, i made the whole zeroth plane as copper and then created a polygon in the shape other than where i want the grnd and selected it and opened the buils holes and vias dialogue and selected the z=0
Is this correct

Added after 1 hours 18 minutes:

I would be really grateful if any1 can attach a sample .geo file regarding this.

Thanx in ADVANCE

Added after 9 minutes:

When you define the No.0 substrate with high conductivity and place a horizontal polygon on it, the horizontal polygon is treated as a slot internnally. On the layer window at the right handside, you will see a horizontal line crossing the No.1 layer with z = 0. It menas that the z = 0 is an infinite ground plane layer and any polygons on it becomes slots on the infinite ground.

But, i do not want the infinite ground plane. I want the ground to be only at a certain place. For that how many slots should i make

In that case, you should first remove the infinite ground by defining the conductivity of the layer = 0. Then, you build the finite ground as a group of polygons on them. You build the shapes of the slots using polygons on some artificial layer temporarily. You select the polygons for the shapes of the slots. You use the command ADV EDIT->BUILD HOLES AND VIAS FROM SELECTED POLYGONS and add the z-coordinate of the finite ground. Select OK and you will get the finite ground plane with slots on it. Regards.

Re: Modification of ground plane in IE3D..pls help me ..accept my frnd req..i am doin

Thank you very much sir for your response.
But, a small query though.
If we make Re of conductivity to zero in basic parameters, it will make the whole ground plane to be a dielectric.
I want to only truncate some part of it making the infinite plane to finite
Like if you you see in the F-shaped antenna design we need the ground plane to be present only half way under the subtrate. How can i do that?

Added after 1 hours 42 minutes:

Ohhhhhh

I just understood what you said sir.

THank you

sir this is creating prob at the time of simulation..they are saying that there is no ground plane as when i have changed the real part of ground =0 then it starts behaving as a dielectric...
so how to simulate..pls help me sir..its urgent
truto reply sir with in 24 hrs..
pls sir

- - - Updated - - -

bt sir these is creating prob at the time of simulation...when we have changed the real part of ground plane to 0,it also stars behaving as a dielectric..and at the time of simulation,they are saying that there is no ground plane for port..so how to simulate\
pls help..its urgent

with regards
piyush sinha

Re: Modification of ground plane in IE3D..pls help me ..accept my frnd req..i am doin

re conductivity =0 shud be made of which color? default green or red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back