Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

modelsim simulation in xilinx

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostridergr

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I am trying to simulate from xilinx using modelsim. I have used this tutorial **broken link removed**and I have also included in my path system variable the path of modelsim ("c:\modelsim_version\win32" folder). But then I try to run the simulation and I get this: it says running simulation in xilinx, then after 1 sec it stops and i it run simulation failed. (on the place that there is a circle spinning, in the processes senction). Any help? What else should I set?

Is it license problem ?
If i run modelsim separately it runs without a problem. i just cannot start it inside xilinx. any other links on how to do it? Maybe I am missing a thing.

Last edited:

thats the same link as the one I posted. Well this is the error I get.
Code:
udo file already exist (landmark.udo). It will not be re-generated.
 * creating main do file (landmark.fdo) for Behavioral Simulation...
    > executing 'C:/Modeltech_pe_edu_10.0d/win32pe_edu/vsim.exe -version' to get the mti_pe version...
    > mti_pe version is Edition
 * determining pre-compiled simulation library path information...
   > using mapping file set by MODELSIM env (C:\Modeltech_pe_edu_10.0d\modelisim.ini)...
   > extracting library mapping information from 'C:\Modeltech_pe_edu_10.0d\modelisim.ini'...
     > Compilation info: secureip
       + Source Library    : C:/Xilinx/13.3/ISE_DS/ISE/secureip/mti
       + Compilation Time  : Wed Mar 21 20:40:43 2012
       + Platform          : nt
       + Simulator         : mti_pe
       + Simulator Version : 10.0d
         ERROR: Simulator version mismatch!
               The simulation libraries were compiled for the 'MTI_PE 10.0d' version, but
               the selected simulator is 'MTI_PE Edition'. Please recompile the libraries for
               the selected simulator version or change the simulator selection.
       + Xilinx Version    : 13.3
       + Number of Errors  : 0
       + Number of Warnings: 1

ERROR: Error(s) encountered while extracting pre-compiled simulation library information.
       Please check the log above for more details.

Can you post the portion of the log that talks about the error?

Did you compile your simulation libraries with compxlib?

Actually he did post the part with the error. It's this bit:

ERROR: Simulator version mismatch!
The simulation libraries were compiled for the 'MTI_PE 10.0d' version, but
the selected simulator is 'MTI_PE Edition'. Please recompile the libraries for
the selected simulator version or change the simulator selection.

Ah yes, my good friend Simulator Version Mismatch. I know it well. :p

Option 1) just to be sure: rerun compxlib. Hopefully that fixes it, but given the specific error I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. I think it's one of those string mismatches where xilinx expects the wrong thing and thus throws an unwarranted error.

Option 2) make a small workaround to compensate for this.

You have to edit this file "ISE_DS/ISE/data/projnav/scripts/dpm_modelsimTasks.tcl"

Code:
                   puts "                The simulation libraries were compiled for the '$sSimulator' simulator but"
                   puts "                the selected  simulator is '$sSimulatorType'. Please recompile the libraries"
                   puts "                for the selected simulator, or change the simulator selection."
                  set bInfoMismatch false
# version mismatch workaround
#                  set bInfoMismatch true
                }
                if { $bPrintToConsole } {
                   puts "       + Simulator Version : $sSimulatorVersion"
@@ -1102,7 +1104,9 @@
                   puts "               The simulation libraries were compiled for the '[string toupper $sSimulator] $sSimulatorVersion' version, but"
                   puts "               the selected simulator is '[string toupper $sSimulatorType] $sSimVersion'. Please recompile the libraries for"
                   puts "               the selected simulator version or change the simulator selection."
                  set bInfoMismatch false
                }
                   puts "       + Xilinx Version    : $sXilVersion"

You now will still get the error message to remind you that xilinx partially sucks and they should really fix this, but it now will just continue.
If you feel like it you could change it to a warning. For me that was too much typing. :p I just wanted to get simulating.

Hope this workaround helps.

Option 2) make a small workaround to compensate for this.

You have to edit this file "ISE_DS/ISE/data/projnav/scripts/dpm_modelsimTasks.tcl"

Code:
                   puts "                The simulation libraries were compiled for the '$sSimulator' simulator but"
                   puts "                the selected  simulator is '$sSimulatorType'. Please recompile the libraries"
                   puts "                for the selected simulator, or change the simulator selection."
                  set bInfoMismatch false
                }
@@ -1102,7 +1104,9 @@
                   puts "               The simulation libraries were compiled for the '[string toupper $sSimulator] $sSimulatorVersion' version, but"
                   puts "               the selected simulator is '[string toupper $sSimulatorType] $sSimVersion'. Please recompile the libraries for"
                   puts "               the selected simulator version or change the simulator selection."
                  set bInfoMismatch false
                }

You now will still get the error message to remind you that xilinx partially sucks and they should really fix this, but it now will just continue.
If you feel like it you could change it to a warning. For me that was too much typing. :p I just wanted to get simulating.

Hope this workaround helps.
Thanks. Whereto pastethe code in the file? Anywhere?

XD

No, not just anywhere. Just look through that "ISE_DS/ISE/data/projnav/scripts/dpm_modelsimTasks.tcl" file...

Search for the lines where it does "set bInfoMismatch true", those are what cause the problem. So that's why in the above fragement I commented those lines, and substituted it with "set bInfoMismatch false". There's two of those since where you just have to change it from "true" to "false".

or you can use this "dpm_modelsimTasks.patch" patch file that I use for this:
Code:
--- ./ISE_DS/ISE/data/projnav/scripts/dpm_modelsimTasks.tcl.orig	2011-10-04 07:44:54.000000000 +0200
+++ ./ISE_DS/ISE/data/projnav/scripts/dpm_modelsimTasks.tcl	2011-12-19 10:10:45.000000000 +0100
@@ -1092,7 +1092,9 @@
-                  set bInfoMismatch true
+                  set bInfoMismatch false
+# quick fix
+#                  set bInfoMismatch true
                }
@@ -1102,7 +1104,9 @@
-                  set bInfoMismatch true
+                  set bInfoMismatch false
+# quick fix
+#                  set bInfoMismatch true
                }

and then do

patch -p0 < dpm_modelsimTasks.patch

If you're familiar with that. If not just use the text editor, it's only 2 lines. Hope that helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back