Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modelsim problem with signal initialization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugo17

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
With Modelsim I would like to test a code but one signal always remains uninitialized. Here a code snipped to explain the problem with Modelsim:

Code:
-- Signal Declaration
signal shifter 			: std_logic_vector(0 to 6);
signal led_out_temp 		: std_logic;	

process (reset_reset_n) is
begin
	if reset_reset_n = '0' then
		shifter <= (others => '0');           -- After reset_reset_n goes to '0' shifter is '0000000'
		led_out_temp <= '0';                  -- Always has the value 'U'
	end if;
end process;

When I step through it I can check the values but even after stepping out of the process the signal "led_out_temp" is 'U'. Can someone tell me why?

Two potential reasons:
- reset_reset_n never happens to go to '0' in your simulation
- There are multiple drivers of led_out_temp. To find the other one you can either use the 'drivers led_out_temp' command at the Modelsim prompt or change led_out_temp from std_logic to std_ulogic, compile and the compiler will flag the multiple drivers.

Kevin Jennings

Modelsim reports multiple drivers with an X not U.

No it doesnt.
'U' driven with anything results in 'U'

Ran a test case on this and you are absolutely right, I've been using Verilog so much that I didn't realize that VHDL handles this differently. Verilog just makes everything X right off the bat, so there isn't a U (though I've seen U's in some of my simulations before...mixed mode).

Tricky thanks for pointing out my mistake (I can always trust in your knowledge of VHDL). :thumbsup:

Thats because verilog only has 4 states - X 0 1 and Z, defaulting to X. It uses X to cover VHDL's 'U', 'X' and '-' and 'W'

Status
Not open for further replies.