Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modelsim - can see the gain in perfomance in new versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzkiller

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

In the past 2 years I have worked with Modelsim SE 5.3 to 5.5a .
All these versions gave me practically the same performance in VHDL.
Every major new version has promised 2-4 times gain in performance.
Why don't I see it? May be it's only for Verilog ? Please share your experience.

P.S. (I tested on PII-450 with 256MB RAM)

Buzkiller.

Which HDLSim tool is better(performance), like NC-Sim, VCS, Modelsim ...?

Thanks!

In behavior model, modelsim is the best by myself. In gate level, it is very very very very slow.

By the way, what difference in the NC-verilog and Verilog-XL ??

Who can tell me the answer?

No one to answer me! That's ok!! I will answer me by myself.

After surveying, NC-Verilog is compiled-base Verilog simulator, Verilog-XL is interpret-based. In the speed, NC-Verilog is faster(several order) than Verilog-XL; Particularly in the gate level.

I think that in the behavioral model to use modelsim or NC-Verilog, in the gate model to use NC-Verilog is the best soluation.

Anyone has other comments?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roZes on 2001-06-27 18:52 ]</font>

Verilog-XL is too slow for designer to verify a large design. I have done some comparisons between VCS and NC before (using a 400000 gates design). Here is my result:

In RTL simulation, VCS is the fastest. Its simulation time is about 10% faster than NC.

But in gate-level simulation, VCS is about 20% slower than NC, and sometimes it will occur some unrecoverable error (core dump or cause wrong signal value 'X' during simulation) and less robustness.

In my opinion, I think NC is a better choice. Modelsim, as I know, is much slower than both VCS and NC; but it provides good Verilog and VHDL co-simulation. :smile:

wow... your design is really so BIG (10M gates or transisotrs?)!

1 gate = 1 smallest 2-input NAND = 2 P + 2 N-type transistors.

What process do you use? .18um?

The versions of NC and VCS I used are: LDV3.0/3.1 and VCS5.IN1. And SDF information is also included during whole-chip gate-level simulation. I use NC not only for its speed but also its stability. :smile:

mm... I finally realize that why my RTL simulation is so slow now. :smile:

Recently, I use PLI to build models of ADC/DAC/PLL to let verilog could do mixed-mode simulation. However, the speed becomes slow. Your post tell me why... thx, roZes. Maybe I can switch back to VCS to try my further simulations. :smile:

I use VCS 6.0.1, I have not fill it is faster than VCS 5.1, maybe my design is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back