Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modbus isolate electronic design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolopez

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I'm here to ask you one question. I have a electronic system with Modbus integrated working perfectly for several months. In this PCB I need 2 grounds (one Modbus dedicated). The fact is the system I'm using to isolate Modbus is quite expensive. I'm using this IC:
Analog ADM2587. Its great because it has auto voltage source to isolate Modbus.

Now I'm looking for another way to make an isolate Modbus design. I have some options in mind.

1. Use IC Texas ISO3080 (Isolated RS-485 transceiver). Problem here is I need to get a new voltage source. I have thinking to use a DC-DC converter, but options I see are expensive (DC-DC). And isolated transceivers is not the cheaper I would like...

2. Use IC Texas SN65176 (Differential Bus Transceiver) and digital isolator. This is the "best" option I think. Problem again, I need another voltage source. I have not never worked with digital isolator but Its not a problem. Its a very cheap solution.

As you can see I'm trying to get the same with less cost, designing as in old times.

So, here is the quesiton. Is there another option I dont have in mind?
and, how can I get another source voltage to use with these transceivers? As I wrote, I was thinking in DC-DC converter. Use a trasformer with 3 secondary I think it's bad choice (if it exist), and to use one more transformer increase the cost.

Thanks in advance :wink:

Best regards,

If you are designing a product rather than a DIY circuit, occupied area, part count and assembly costs are an important factor.

Most automation products incoporating an isolated RS-485 bus (e.g. PROFIBUS which is isolated by specification and many MODBUS implementations) end up with a small 5V DC/DC module, 3 digital optocouplers and a standard RS-485 transceiver. Alternatively a multichannel digital isolator IC instead of individual opto couplers.

Hi,

Yes, option about simple transceiver and 3 optocoupler I got in mind, but is not my first choice because I'm trying to runaway from optocouplers. It's the cheapest alternative no doubt.

I understand from your words that use a DC-DC is a good way to start. The main doubt is get another voltage source and DC-DC is not the cheapest way (maybe could be the only way).

Use digital isolators with transceiver is the option I like in this moment (with some way to create the voltage source).

Regards,

Last edited:

I use Analog Device, The IC has a power supply and isolated system.

Hi edsonmoky,

You mean ADM2587 I referred before or another IC you know? I have been looking for in Analog Devices others IC many times and all I saw was the same features and price (even higher) than ADM2587.

Reagrds,

Status
Not open for further replies.