Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

modbus hardware interface for AVR micros

Status
Not open for further replies.

makjee

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I have a digital IO (12 channels) board based on 8051 with RS485 interfacing. I have been able to successfully use the board but I want to improve it further.

I want to extend the channels to 16 or 24, so I am talking about 8 to 24 more pins (1 for output, 1 for input each). Hence I am looking at a 100pin package device.

Secondly, I want to implement the TCP version of Modbus. The selection of hardware is rather confusing. I can go for MMnet based cards, or include an ENC ethernet to SPI chip from Microchip, or select a 32 bit AVR C series supporting ethernet and develop from there. And if I just have to go learn a 32 bit processor is it better to get the ARM variants from Atmel and invest time in that? Implementing the actual protocol is not a big problem, I still want to spend much little effort on running the ethernet connection to work.

I intend to use AVR processors and had MEGA1280 i mind because of high pin count. But then again how does it fit inside the modbus TCP criteria? For that I require your input.

TIA

Mak

Your actual question seems to be how to implement Ethernet and TCP/IP. Once you have Ethernet, you can implement modbus or
any other protocol on top of TCP/IP.
What is modbus TCP/IP criteria?
There is no 'criteria' to make TCP/IP suitable for modbus. TCP/IP is a standard that doesn't change for the higher-layer protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back