Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mixer headroom setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxcv2201

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to get headroom from mixer using Gilbert structure.

Is it correct to calculate the headroom in cadence as follows?

For 1,2 tr, vds-vdsat (=Vsat_marg) is obtained, and this value is subtracted from VDD

VDD-(Vsat_marg(about M1))-(Vsat_marg(about M2))

1671247993746.png

I thought about the points to consider in the mixer's headroom as follows.

1. I think that the transconductance stage is actually involved in amplification, so I think that sufficient headroom of the transconductance stage is important.
2. Since the amplified signal passes to the switching stage, headroom similar to that of the transconductance stage is required.

I thought the above factors should be considered. I'd like to know if this is the right thing to consider. Are there any additional things to consider?

I suppose the topmost components are resistive (since they're labelled 'loads' in internet articles about the Gilbert mixer)?

Then I think you wish to turn on the mosfet networks to a degree such that their quiescent ohm value is same as the loads.
In this manner the loads operate around 1/2 supply voltage (average).

Moreover you must carefully adjust bias signals at all mosfets so you obtain your desired voltage swings.

I suppose the topmost components are resistive (since they're labelled 'loads' in internet articles about the Gilbert mixer)?

Then I think you wish to turn on the mosfet networks to a degree such that their quiescent ohm value is same as the loads.
In this manner the loads operate around 1/2 supply voltage (average).

Moreover you must carefully adjust bias signals at all mosfets so you obtain your desired voltage swings.
Thank you for answer. But I didn't understand. What I'm trying to get is a formula for calculating the headroom in a Gilbert cell.

From what you said, I realized that I forgot the resistance.

VDD-(RL*I)-(Vdsat, switching stage)-(Vdsat, transcondcutance stage)

Is it correct to get the value like this?

* Remember that turning on a transistor causes reduced drain-source voltage across it.
Simultaneously it sends greater current through neighboring components thus raising voltage across them.

* The Gilbert cell multiplies two signals. These need to ride a DC component in order to bias the transistors properly (including level 1, level 2, and the bottommost tail transistor).

* It's a complex circuit. I imagine a big challenge is to find a good operating point.
You may find it's crucial to operate all transistors in a linear region. Or instead you may need to operate certain transistors near their threshold of turn-On & turn-Off.

* Headroom seems to be only a minor factor to consider. There's numerous adjustments needed before the circuit works properly. Eventually it might come out that each level operates within a range of voltage, or within a percentage of supply voltage. Can these be determined ahead of time? I believe the circuit is too complex to predict ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.