Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Mismatch Parameters for 65nm UMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ans5671

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am wanting to design a current steering DAC in UMC65. Can someone let me know how to find the technology mismatch technology parameters Avth and Aβ. I know that they are to be found in the Spice/Spectre file, how do I identify. There are a lot of terms in that I don't understandnd?

Hi,

I'm not sure if I got your question, but I believe the best way is to extract a statistical distribution from a Monte Carlo simulation. I believe that those values you mentioned are nothing but threshold voltage and beta variances.

I hope this help and I'm sorry in advance if I got it wrong.

Kind regards,
Vitor

deep_sea

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Okay. so my question is, Abeta and Avth are foundry specific mismatch parameters. Where to find them.
My understanding is that the statistical distribution from a Monte Carlo simulation would give variations for a particular design. Whereas these parameters are generic of foundry.

Still thanks for your reply.

Is it there in electrical design rule manual? I don't know.

I agree with sleepless_nights. You will not even find Vth and \[ \beta \] in electrical rules. What you will find is the current at a specified (W,L; VGS, VDS). The best way is to characterise your devices by simulator and extract these parameters. It would be better if you use gm/ID instead of square law but this another story.
You can plug a transistor into a testbench. Use sufficiently large L and try to extract the parameters. If you use then Monte-Carlo simulation, you can see how much the current deviates for 3 \[ \sigma \]. Using your equation, you can infer how much was \[ \sigma \] assuming you have only one cause of deviation (dominated either by Vth or \[ \beta \] ).

By the way, for current steering DAC, do not forget about other sources of the mismatch - for example, Vgs mismatch caused by the metal debiasing of the ground net that feeds to the current sources (different IR drop --> different Vs --> different Vgs --> systematic current mismatch).

Also, if you scale your current sources (e.g. binary) by increasing the number of fingers - there may be systematic mismatch induced by the edge finger effect.

Yes. Thank you for the heads up. I would look for other sources of mismatches. The Abeta and Avth would give a starting point for design. As I have seen in papers using the Pelgrom's formula. I guess as @deep_sea has said. I would have to simulate and obtain the parameters.

@deep_sea You have mentioned using gm/Id method for designing a DAC core, is there any reference for that. I am finding mainly amplifier designs. THanks.

gm/ID is a general methodology to use instead of traditional square law. It uses gm/ID as biasing indication to know how your biasing is far from strong, intermediate, weak inversion.
In traditional square law, you say I have Vth=0.4 V and I have VGS=0.6 V and translate this into Vov=0.2 V. In gm/ID, you classify your biasing by gm/ID or V*.
I have not personally designed a DAC and the design of a complete DAC looks for me as a task for group of designers or a complete PhD thesis.
But what I meant is that using square law
\[ ID= (\beta /2) (W/L) (VGS-Vth)^2 \]
is not going to give you even a good estimation for hand calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back