Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MIPS - tool that permits to estimate MIPS of a code

Status
Not open for further replies.

marco250483

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
MIPS

Hi everyone,

I've a problem! I must evaluate the effort of a C-code (or an algorithm) with some tool because I must choose a good uP for my code.
Is there some tool that permits to estimate MIPS of a code independently of hardware? or is there some tool that estimates the c-code effort (still HW indipendent)?

Many thanks!!!

Marco

Re: MIPS

marco250483 said:
Hi everyone,

I've a problem! I must evaluate the effort of a C-code (or an algorithm) with some tool because I must choose a good uP for my code.

The best tool to evaluate the effort of writing C-Code / algorithm is your brain. Without providing A LOT more information what you want to do / achieve even those willing to help won't be able to. Do you want to toggle a pin every hour, that can be done with a Intel Quad-core or with a 4-bit micro. It would be more efficient to use the 4 bit but you might have the other one already at hand.

marco250483 said:
Is there some tool that permits to estimate MIPS of a code independently of hardware? or is there some tool that estimates the c-code effort (still HW independent)?
Many thanks!!!

Marco

That tool is usually experience and even that can easily fail. Have a look at the definition of MIPS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhrystone
If you want to perform a task like streaming video do not try it with an 8-bit, if you do motor control the number of MIPS might almost be irrelevant because most of the functionality will be done within a timer block.....

So, there will be just as much dependency on hardware peripherals on the chip to support your needs as there is for the MIPS number. Doing an Ethernet protocol without a dedicated EMAC requires +++MIPS, doing it with hardware support and a nice buffer you can use an 8-bit micro.

Having c-code for the algorithm is first step. Now you can run it on a PC for testing. Next step, you could download a simulator e.g. for ARM........

There are numbers of MIPS coming mostly from the DSP world, e.g. text to voice or voice recognition requires xx MIPS. But with the available information you provide this is as much help as I can give

Bob
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Need a consultant with in depth LPC2000 knowledge? -> Let me know!
http://www.lpc2000.com
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back