Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Minimum practical frequency limit of EM solvers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mixmaestromark

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I've been trying to find out what the lower frequency limit for EM solvers is?

Would it make sense to attempt to analyse a spiral planar inductor in the 10-100kHz region for example? I'm guessing that this is too low, but I'm not sure why this would be without flicking through my old EM textbooks for a few hours!

Thanks in advance.

The primary limitations will be the precision of the numbers used in the solver (ie 32bit 64bit, and then double, double double, quad double) and the excitations. For example, in HFSS you can take the ports down to about 5kHz and have very accurate responses in HFSS13 as they have nicely improved this. However, if you transition from ports to voltage or current sources, you can go down to 10s of Hz and have excellent field results. It is also of note that most structures in these frequencies are horrid radiators, so your terminating boundary (Radiation boundaries, PMLs, etc) can be brought MUCH closer than lambda/4 or lambda/10 as these structures have most of the fields in the reactive near field. Just food for thought!

Have Fun!

Thanks alot!

Tools available to me are Microwave office EMSight, genesys momentum and genesys EMPower. I think these are all 2.5D solvers, I'm not sure on what number precision they use though.

Have you had any experience with these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back