Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mini-hard disk and Nand flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoflash

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Anyone have article talking about their future?

Who is going to win?

i guess Flash is giong to win "eventually" but HDD will stay around for many years to come.

What about 10 years as a timing range? Who is better?

I think after 10 years, year 2015, HDDs will still be around. But they will have reached their density limit. I guess a 3.5inch drive will pack about 10TB - 500TB data. The cost will be around $20 - $100. On the other hand, FLASH will still be more expensive than HDD although by not that big a margin as today. I think HDDs may disappear altogether after about 20 years.

neoflash

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
other techniques are under development right now, like FRAM, MRAM or phase change. I think the development of these and whether they will make it to the market will mainly determine if the HD or flash will survive.

neoflash

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
One this is for sure. Mechanics is going to be replaced by solid state "eventually".

Good inputs.

Then, is it worthwhile to go for hard-disk driver IC design?

Is that a very specific design area? I know flash designer are very specific and very different from typical analog designer.

What about hard-disk driver designer? Is that design job fun?

thanks,
Neoflash

I think HDD driver IC design is easier than Flash IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back