Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Min and Max data rates for BPSK signal

afz23

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying direct BPSK on a 1GHz carrier signal . The signal will be transmitted via air medium using an antenna.
I have some limitation on radiated power level, so I can not have high data rates as it will reduce available RF link margin.

I wanted to reduce the data rate and see upto what data rate I can get acceptable BER.?
It is obseved that BER(10^-6) is good upto 10kbps data rate, below 10kbps say 2kbps BER is just 10^-2,which is not acceptable.

Please throw light on this onservation, and suggest what need to be done to transmit 1kbps with acceptable BER at 1GHz carrier frequency.?

It is obseved that BER(10^-6) is good upto 10kbps data rate, below 10kbps say 2kbps BER is just 10^-2,which is not acceptable.
Contradiction in terms, please clarify.
Also, the question is meaningless without specifying a demodulation method. BER is always related to an (unsaid) SNR.

Contradiction in terms, please clarify.
Also, the question is meaningless without specifying a demodulation method. BER is always related to an (unsaid) SNR.
After BPSK demodulation , we require SNR of minimum 9.5dB.

After BPSK demodulation , we require SNR of minimum 9.5dB.

You are asking how to reduce data rate but at same time you did reduce data rate from 10KBps to 2kbps and below?

Anyway, did you change your filtering? shaping filter or channel filter? if so you will lose data. The correct way to reduce data rate is to have symbol rate (clock) reduced. Then you can shape/upsample to 1GH RF.
data rate for BPSK = symbol rate => (BW = symbol clock/2 * 2)

I am trying direct BPSK on a 1GHz carrier signal . The signal will be transmitted via air medium using an antenna.
I have some limitation on radiated power level, so I can not have high data rates as it will reduce available RF link margin.

I wanted to reduce the data rate and see upto what data rate I can get acceptable BER.?

Please throw light on this onservation, and suggest what need to be done to transmit 1kbps with acceptable BER at 1GHz carrier frequency.?
When transmitting a BPSK (Binary Phase Shift Keying) signal at a lower data rate like 1kbps, it can be challenging to maintain an acceptable Bit Error Rate (BER) at a high carrier frequency like 1GHz. This is because lower data rates result in a longer symbol duration, which increases the susceptibility to channel impairments and noise.

To improve the BER at lower data rates, you can consider the following techniques:

1. Increase the transmit power: By increasing the radiated power level within the permissible limits, you can improve the signal strength and overcome some of the impairments caused by noise and channel conditions.
  2. Implement forward error correction (FEC): FEC techniques add redundancy to the transmitted data, allowing for the detection and correction of errors at the receiver. By implementing an appropriate FEC scheme, you can improve the BER performance, even at lower data rates.
  3. Optimize the receiver design: The receiver plays a crucial role in recovering the transmitted signal accurately. Consider optimizing the receiver design by employing techniques such as matched filtering, coherent detection, and appropriate demodulation schemes to improve the detection and demodulation of the BPSK signal.
  4. Employ diversity techniques: Diversity techniques, such as antenna diversity or frequency diversity, can improve the system's robustness against fading and other channel impairments. By utilizing multiple antennas or frequencies, you can enhance the reliability of the communication link.
  5. Consider using a lower carrier frequency: If feasible, operating at a lower carrier frequency can provide better propagation characteristics and reduce the impact of channel impairments. However, this might require additional considerations such as antenna design and spectrum availability.
It's important to note that the specific implementation details and system constraints will influence the effectiveness of these techniques. Therefore, it is advisable to perform simulations or conduct practical experiments to evaluate the performance and optimize the system parameters accordingly.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back