Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MIMO virtual arrays for radar imaging: doubt about how the image can be retrieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan_

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I have a question about RADAR IMAGING with MIMO virtual arrays, who can help me?
How is a MIMO Radar used for imaging purposes? Does it need to make a beam scan like a phased array-based radars or is a single snapshot sufficient (considered that it builds MxN MIMO channels) ? I need to detect an enviromental image with M transmitted orthogonal codes and N receiving antennas provided with matched filters to calculate the autocorrelation of the received signals. The environment has some discrete non-static clutter areas and the background has to be observed as a,or "the", distributed target. I read a lot about adaptive beaforming to calculate the weighting coefficients (Minimum Variance methods derived from Capon) but at some point the authors state that a MIMO radar does not need to perform a scan (???) to get a complete image of the surrounding environment. How are then these wheighting coefficients used if the transmitters are independent, as they send orthogonal signals? In normal SISO or SIMO arrays they are used to readjust phase and amplitude of the elements to point towards a specified directions to maximise the SOI level and for SNOI suppression, that is clear. Nevertheless I cannot figure out how an image can be obtained without any scan of the area in the case of MIMO radar. Any MIMO expert around?

Thanks,
I.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back