Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MIM cap bottom plate capacitance value

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperpaki007

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anybody tell me that what is the aproximate value of bottom plate capacitance of metal insulator metal capcitor. I heard from somewhere that mim cap bottom plate capacitance is approximatley 1-5% of orginal capacitance value. Is it true?

Personally I would say 10~20%.
However it depends on the process you're using, especially:
- the metal used (higher metal means lower parasitic)
- if you have shielding under the Mim (metal, NWELL or other option)
The best is to check your process info, and try some back annotation.

I am using cadenece generic design kit and there is not much information about the parasitic capacitance value. I have heard that MOS caps have got 10-25% of bottom plate capacitances and mimcap are much superior to them so there bottom plate capacitance should be lower than MOS caps.
I tried to simulate the bottom plate capacitance of mim cap but the resuts showed about 30% value, which is quite big. I wonder that this value is right or not?

Reactions: jhuang

jhuang

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi viperpaki

you can get an estimate by the ratio of the oxide between the plates (dependent on process) and the thickness of the inter-layer dielectric below the bottom plate (agan dependent on the process.

Roughly tens on nanometer the first, a few microns the second so order of 1% is a good rough estimate

Hello, I am using cadence design kit and UMC 90nm library to design switched capacitors for power delivery. I would like to use MIM cap. But in the library, there are lots of MIM cap choices, such as MIMCAPS_20FNW_RFKF, MIMCAPS_20F_MM, MIMCAPS_20F_RFKF : ) Do you know that is the difference among them? and What do they stand for? Thank you very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, I am using cadence design kit and UMC 90nm library to design switched capacitors for power delivery. I would like to use MIM cap. But in the library, there are lots of MIM cap choices, such as MIMCAPS_20FNW_RFKF, MIMCAPS_20F_MM, MIMCAPS_20F_RFKF : ) Do you know that is the difference among them? and What do they stand for? Thank you very much.

you can probably check the design rule manual for your process. It will give you the detailed information about type of capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back