Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

migrating from old Microcontroller to newer version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

liteon

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends.
Since Microchip is always upgrading their older versions of Mcu with new versions which is a technology advancement and results in better but cheaper chips.
But often one it required to make changes in program written for older version to adopt for new versions of chips.

This is the situation i am handling now. I have a device designed with PIC16F628. Now i need to adopt it for PIC16F628A.

What should be done? I am using ICPROG which supports A version of this chip with JDM programmer.
Will it be Ok to select the A version in ICPROG and use the old software to burn in new A version.
I went through the migration document from microchip but i don't understand it fully.The document says about the difference in configuration word and some others.
Can any one help me with this problem?

One more question, is it possible to make changes directly in hex file for new A version or there must be changes made in source code?

Thank a lot in advance for any help.

i need it urgent folks. any help is much appreciated.Please

i do not think that there is a difference. only at the silicon. the same program works in both mcu.

Microchip does not change any configuration. As i have read the migration from 628 to 628A.

To only difference is if you have int rc and MCLR pin.

Just check the right configuration byte and i will work fine

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back