Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Migrating code from PIC16C711 to PIC16F716

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazza69

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI Can anyone help migrate my source code from a PIC 16C711 OTP to a PIC16F716?
My code is for an alarm system & works perfectly when burnt into a OTP but can not seem to program it on the flash equivalent.
Willing to send my source code if anyone can help me.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Also am prepared to pay for your time

Please clarify, are you saying you can't program the IC or that you can program and verify it but it doesn't work afterwards?

Brian.

Hi Brian, Thanks for the reply :)

If I load the hex file into the PICkit 2 programmer with pic16f716 selected as the device family. It loads and verifies OK. But This will not run in my alarms system.
If i load the same into a pic711 it works fine in the alarm system.
Im guessing that they are not a direct replacement from the 16c711 and I do not have the knowledge to change my code for flash devices.
So Yes can program it but it doesn't work afterwards.
I have not changed a thing in the source code so am wondering if i need to make changes?

Unfortunately, yes, you do need to make changes although they are fairly straight forward.

The devices are almost the same but the 'F716 has additional PWM features and the ADC registers are moved to a different address.
If you have the source code all you should need to do is change the device type and recompile/reassemble, the new addressess should be automatically used in place of the old ones and a new hex file produced.

Brian.

Thanks for all your advice Brian, it's been really helpful & i'm slowly learning

I changed the device in MPLab IDE and built a new project making sure it is for the F716. After a bit of trouble I can now produce a hex file.
Strangely this will not run on my systems, its as if the PIC is blank even though verification says its sucessful and loaded.

Please could I send you my source file for you to look at and see if there is something silly i'm missing?

By all means, I'll look as soon as possible and report back but please be patient I'm in meetings or on the phone much of the time at the moment.
I've disabled personal messaging on EdaBoard because of time wasters but if you click where it says "view profile" under this message and go to my home page you will find a way to contact me. Look near my photograph and send me a message on the contact form, mentioning you are gazza69 so I can pick you out from the other messages. Don't send the source file on the contact form, I'll write back to you with an address to send it to.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back