Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip patch antenna. Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salving

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please, anybody. help me. Give me any idea why increasing the height of the substrate gives better radiation efficiency.

Please, anybody. help me. Give me any idea why increasing the height of the substrate gives better radiation efficiency.

Hello,
Go through the book "Antenna Theory by Balanis", you can good idea of the radiation efficiency wrt height of substrate.

I've already read it twice) there is decreasing in efficiency with substrate increasing

You can increase the height to some extent...beyond one point the standing wave will appear, which will result in the decrease in the efficiency.

thanks) but i'm asking about different thing
due to the theory efficiency must come down with increasing the height, that is what in Balanis

due to the theory efficiency must come down with increasing the height, that is what in Balanis

Where did you find that?

Quote from the Balanis book:

"There are numerous substrates that can be used for the design of microstrip antennas,
and their dielectric constants are usually in the range of 2.2 ≤ Ir ≤ 12. The ones that
are most desirable for good antenna performance are thick substrates whose dielectric
constant is in the lower end of the range because they provide better efficiency, larger
bandwidth, loosely bound fields for radiation into space, but at the expense of larger
element size [38]"

That's what i found in Balanis, Antenna Theory - page 763, fig. 14.26
efficiency goes down

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The influence of substrate height on the radiation efficiency should be described by two stages. Stage 1: When the height is small, dielectric loss (and maybe together with conductor loss) dominates. In this stage, the radiation efficiency increases with substrate height, since larger height leads to smaller dielectric loss and stronger radiation. Stage 2: When the height is large, surface-wave loss dominates and this loss increases with substrate height. Thus keeping increasing the substrate height cannot improve the radiation efficiency infinitely.

hi increasing substrate height is equivalent to increasing permittivity and as you know it decrease radation
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back