Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microstrip antenna: inset feed vs L/4 trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

indiaco

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi i´m designing an antenna for 802.11 and having some troubles with the feeding. The question is : are lambda/4 transformers as good as a microstrip inset feed ?
i think this is it, for a start...
thanks a lot.

The main thing is u have to know the i/p impedence of the patch e.g u can use transmissionline model for this purpose.Then both the impedence matching techniques i-e insetting or quarter wave will give the good results but If u use quarter wave it will increase the feedline length also there will be discontinuties involved so in my opinion inset feed is a better choice.

thanks zubair for your answer.
The thing is i am following the balanis book to build my antenna, but it doesn´t have a formula (or pay attention at all) to the distance bettwen the inset feeding microstrip and the actual microstrip patch (if not clear let me know).
I do know the Z of the patch and the (i asume) correct Wo of the strip, althoug i don´t know how this distance i talked about before influences the impedance or radiation of the antenna.
That is why i came with the idea of matching with a L/4 transf.
If anybody has suggestions about this i´m happy to hear...
thanks a lot.

Please take a closer look at Balanis book.

There is indeed a formula for you to calculate the depth of inset.

Now I am using Ansoft Designer on the same 2.45G inset-feed square patch antenna.

The formula is quite good in Designer for the 50-ohm matching.

But the problem is its narrow-band matching.

2.45G is ok for 20DB RL, 2.4G and 2.5G are not good for 5dB RL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back