Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstepping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracid

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sla7042 project

Since i could not find any docs on how to microstep an unipolar stepper motor i figured out the sequences myself.
Hopefully i managed to rotate them.It seems i really broke one step into microsteps but when stepping it periodically it doesnt rotate at constant speed.Sometimes it stops for a little while then rotates continuously for a while then again stops.
I use high torque microstepping,so one half of the first coil is fully on,while one half of the second coil is going up and down(duty cycle from 0-100 and 0-100)

Today a reason came up on my mind,why isnt the motor rotating continuously(what came on my mind is my opinion only).
At the moment i am driving the coils the following way(unipolar drive):eek:ne half of windingA is at full power and one half of windingB goes down to 0% duty cycle.
After it reached zero,the current in another half of WindingB is increased.You can notice at step4 that only one half is at full power(no current is switched into any other winding).
case1:
step 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
duty100% ON ON ON ON ON ON ON
duty100-0% 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
dutt0-100% 0 0 0 0 1 2 3

And this is the second case i came up with:you can see that at step4 another half winding becomes increasing immediately after the first gone to zero.
case2:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ON ON ON ON ON ON ON
3 2 1 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 2 3 4

Can anybody tell me which of them is good?

Maybe that ´dead´ band (step4) causes the stop for a while.

PS: sorry about the arrangement,the editor shows it aligned,but when submitted it becomes unaligned!(even making more spaces in editor wont change the alignment.)

Thanks for the links but unfortunately they doesnt help me!there are very-very basic ´surface´ infos(even not theory nor explanation)

Its very kind of you that you are trying to help me.
I not vainly wrote that i could not find any docs on the web.
The pdf you attached i alredy read.
I give 100 points if one can give me a link to my problem solution!
I am sure there isnt so i would welcome ideas here on this forum!
I even like if i can directly communicate and discuss instead of reading the docs i cant get the answer from.

Added after 2 minutes:

How familiar are you with stepper motors?I believe you dont know them (only as deep as me-the simple full/half step drive and maybe the methods used at microstepping but no practical experiences)

As i mentioned i use not sine cosine microstepping!

You get the 100points if you answer and explaine my question directly because i cant get the info from these links!
but thanks!

can't help you, but you only have 36 point !?

What do you want to say with 36points only?
You have only 88?
Sorry!

PS: magyar vagy,Csaba411?

Csaba,

Although I don't quite understand your writing style, how I would attempt it unipolary is to:

Power one coil fully, then increase the curring in the next from 0 to 100%, then decrease the current in the first coil from 100% to 0%. Then increase the currint in the next coil in line from 0 to 100%, etc.

Due to all sorts of reasons it might very well not be a linear increase you seek. Try using a lookup table, and experiment some.

here's also a nice appnote on micro stepping.

**broken link removed**

Goodluck

Yes,what you wrote is exactly what i did!
I use lookup tables(the values are decreasing linearly) to get the duty cycle from.

The problem might be what i described earlier.
I use only one lookup table(the offset value to the PCL is incremented/decremented so theres no need for two separate lookup tables).

I think the error occurs when the duty cycle value reaches its max value or the opposite-the min value and i change the state(there are 8 states).Because after it reached the upper/lower limit only one coil gets energised for a while(bcause duty cycle value starts from zero if incrementing and ends at zero too if decrementing.
So if a state in the sequence ends with zero duty cycle value(one coil got fully OFF only) the other coil is starting from zero too.(this means the constanly energised coil is ´alone´ for two time units)

If you dont understand,let me know and i will dig up the sequence from this forum to show you!

And thanks for replying!

Sometimes it stops for a little while then rotates continuously for a while then again stops.
So me guess it's somewhere else, not on the microstepping sequences..

Just my two cents..

Regards, CI.

Status
Not open for further replies.