Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microsoft vs. Borland ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noreturn

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody. My brain is really confused nowadays. For my final project, i'll design a GPS (mapping) software. But i couldn't choose which compiler to use. I know standart C++. But i don't have any idea about these visual compilers. So which you would prefer for such a program when ur software includes socket programming and visual (mapping) functions. Borland C++ Builder or MS Visual Studio... ?

I prefer MS Visual Studio. Builder is better situated for small programms with simple GUI, IMHO.

Go for Visual Studio because you will get lot of example programs and help from community.

Use Borland compiler.Its good with Std C++

Noreturn said:
Hi everybody. My brain is really confused nowadays. For my final project, i'll design a GPS (mapping) software. But i couldn't choose which compiler to use. I know standart C++. But i don't have any idea about these visual compilers. So which you would prefer for such a program when ur software includes socket programming and visual (mapping) functions. Borland C++ Builder or MS Visual Studio... ?

Use Borland!
What you can do in 1 hour in Borland, it will take a day with Microsoft.
Borland invented RAD.
Turbo C++ 2006 express is a free download.
Get it now.

Hey, if you are hitting roadblocks with what you should use, Borland or MS, consider another line of work. They are both about 100 times overkill for what you need. If this is what you are stressing out over, get another lower stress career path - i.e. - be a janitor. I use Dev C++ (freeware), it's about 99 times what I need when it comes to C++, and I don't bitch about it, I express my gratitude for it. If you want to be an engineer, it's what you do with the little you have, not what you can't do with all of the stuff you have. Sorry, but you need an attitude adjustment.

I've used borland and visual studio, programming in pascal and c++. At the end of the day it comes down to what you are more comfortable using. They both do essentially the same thing in different ways, just pick the way you're more comfortable with for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.