Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microsemi IGLOO FPGA - Newbe Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

af_bln

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to realize an interface to interconnect an micro-controller to host via FPGA. Unfortunately the required functionality can't be implemented inside the uC. So I've found the IGLOO FPGA. It seems to match the requirements (IO speed, size etc.). The FPGA should also provide a set of 16bit registers (on my current estimation ~1000 Registers), which shall be accessible for the host and uC. Here I'm not skilled to make an estimation about the count of required system gates. I've made my last FPGA experience 4 years ago with a Xilinx FPGA. Could you give me an advice how to make a rough guess about the need of logic gates? I don't prefer to code 3 weeks long to realize the register set wouldn't fit in my FPGA.

Thx and best regards

Artur

well for a start, it'll need 16,000 registers (D flip flops)
gate count is a pretty useless number, because FPGAs work using LUTs, which can contain several "gates". Secondly, LUT usage is pretty difficult to estimate.

Reactions: af_bln

af_bln

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok this is a helpful statement.

Thank you!

Best Regards

Artur

Status
Not open for further replies.