Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microprocessor V/s Microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

popat_panjaru

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi to all

can anybody send me the difference list between Microprocessor and Microcontrollers???????????....

Also if Microcontrollers are better than M.P. then why all r still using MC????

Members plz send it to me as soon as possible

Popatlal Panjarawala

Any good book on mcu would let you know the difference between a mcu and mpu.
However here is something that would help you understand the differnce between a mcu and mpu:
"Microcontroller differs from a microprocessor in many ways. First and the most important is its functionality. In order for a microprocessor to be used, other components such as memory, or components for receiving and sending data must be added to it. In short that means that microprocessor is the very heart of the computer. On the other hand, microcontroller is designed to be all of that in one. No other external components are needed for its application because all necessary peripherals are already built into it. Thus, we save the time and space needed to construct devices."

There is lot of advantage of MP and lot of MC so both are useful in the field But new ARM processors are latest development so now this is hot field to work. Even new processor is now available as a core so need not worry about any change in hardware.

microcontroller is mini - computer , U already have rom ram alu ... but microprocessor dont have all in it....

and in microcontroller have many operation bit but microprocessor only have few operation bit

micro controllers are used often for embedded applications, due to the fact that they have most everything on chip, (RAM, ROM). They are also much cheaper to mass produce so if for example you needed to put a chip in a appliance for one application it would probably be cheaper to use a micro controller. Someone had said that there are less operations you can do with a micro processor, which is wrong, the number of instructions in the instruction set of a micro processor will far out number those of a micro controller. Most microprocessors are also 32 bit which allows for much better arithmetic operations, the instructions will compute addition of two 32 bit numbers in one line of code rather than an 8 or 16 bit micro controller which may require you to use multiple instructions to make sure your addition of two numbers will be correct.

Briefly, Microprocessor must access external modules, i.e., RAM, ROM whereas Microcontroller have the internal modules, i.e., RAM, ROM on a chip.

i think it is like a chocklate cake & combo chocklate icecream i am sending one of my presentation that will help u the understand

microcontrollers usually have A/D converters and many other things inside the package. Microprocessors don't have these. And for many things you have enough to use a lower speed microcontroller and usually you don't need cooling..etc.

But nowadays the new trands are SoC (System on chip) where there is a microcontroller, FPGA, radio interface... inside the chip..

Microcontroller is an embeded system for event driven control which is having processor along with built in peripherals and memory devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back